Potential

(A/N: I'm not one to tell you what to listen to while reading as everyone has different tastes and there are too many songs and soundtracks to pick a definite choice for a certain situation, but I wrote and read proof this chap while listening to "Under Attack" from Wolfenstein... Anyway, chapt start!)

________________________________________________________________________________

Planting my feet firmly on the only stable surface of this terrain made of corpses, I welcomed the ambush of a blue coral devil for the hundredth time.

I still had some trouble distinguishing them from my surroundings with Ichos when they hide themselves, however, even if I were to be robbed of the light which the shinning pebbles the team used to light our way in this place, the darkness of this cloudy night would still be of no trouble for me.

The salty wind of the sea masked their movements as they maneuvered through it, the air resistance that every being above water experienced every time they moved didn't seem to apply to them.

Black claws stabbed towards my neck with a purple liquid oozing from them. Just a cut was enough to hinder the usage of ichor in seconds. Any revenant heavily dependent on gifts like Louis and Yami would struggle with such an enemy which is why they are on the rear as support while Yakumo, Oliver, and I took them on.

Even without activating gifts, we could not be easily overpowered.

These monsters knew how to hunt revenants. They just needed to hinder one member of a team to create a weak point as the other revenants would try to protect the wounded teammate. An uphill battle would start at that point and all hope was lost if one has no cure for the poison.

Usually, they try to overwhelm us in surprise while aiming for the weakest revenant... and to think they chose me...

Assholes.

The onslaught of blue coral devils started once again, albeit somewhat differently. But not on their part.

The horrible smell of this place didn't bother me as much so I took a breath and readied myself.

I held my zweihander, its handle was much more comfortable now than before. The balance of such an enormous weapon is now perfect between the grasp of my fingers. The hound blood veil I was clad in didn't feel as cumbersome.

My focus increased, a clarity beyond intuition was perceived, and awareness exceeding sharpness was acutely grasped.

Everything became much more real than before. My life became more than a mere existence. The target in front of me was more than an enemy... there was muscle, bone, and a heart to crush!

With the surge of strength I gained from switching blood codes in milliseconds, I swung my giant blade while twisting my waist and shoulders to move out of the way, cutting its striking arm from the elbow into a diagonal angle which sliced its neck down to its chest before splitting the beast apart.

As the two halves went past my sides and blood splattered all over me, I didn't let go of the momentum and turned with my swing to face the other blue coral devil attempting to pierce my side.

When the enemy tries to overwhelm you with numbers, every strike has to be a killing blow. Wasting more than one move on a target will stop your rhythm, once you lose control of the battlefield it will be over.

You have to control it. You have to decide who dies and who gets to breathe a second longer than the rest.

A battle with time begins, and in that clash, speed is what will separate the living and the dead. Every moment, every action, and every thought is a response to multiple questions.