Chapter : 9

The Demon Within.

The man keeps sitting on the couch. He has been sitting on that same couch for the last five hours. His emotionless grey eyes look dead, lifeless. They are fixed on the ground, his hair disheveled, his legs spread wide apart, his hands rest on his knees as his fingers remain interlinked at the front. He doesn't move.
The very few things indicating that he is not a statue are his blinking eyes, heaving chest and his clenching and unclenching jaw. Leo and Purnit comes at every interval to check on him, only to find him sitting on the same couch, in the same position. They tried to offer him food, a glass of water but received no response. Defeated, they left those on the table beside him. Ritwik is the only person who is still standing at a distance patiently, looking at his brother. He is shocked, frightened, because he still can't believe what he witnessed in Vulcan's eyes. They held a promise, a dangerous promise. Something one should be scared of.

For the last three days Ritwik kept following his younger brother, because he kept feeling uneasy about his sudden change of behavior. Right now, as he observes his brother, he feels thankful that he did that. This man sitting on the couch is not his harmless, innocent brother anymore. This is someone else, someone who is craving to see bloodshed, someone who can kill and not regret. He can see him having an internal battle. But he is yet to figure out what triggered him. He is certain that it's something related to Pihu and he kept a watch on her too, but he can't recall seeing anything that could trigger his brother. Above all, why is he suddenly affected by her presence. As much as he could remember 'Manik', his younger brother, had feelings for Teressa. He is the same man who sacrificed his first love for his brother, Dev. He remembers seeing him sad, hurt even, but never this angry, never this crazy....never this vengeful.What has changed? What is making him this way?

Ritwik's hand keeps trembling as he slowly brings out the phone from his pocket and walks towards the balcony. He slowly brings the phone to his ear.

"He is not my little brother anymore, Pratima ji." He begins. His grey eyes tearing up.
"He is becoming someone else. And I can't do anything. I am apologizing in advance but I can't see this anymore. For the first time in the entirety of my life I am feeling helpless. I need to bring him back to you people. You and Teressa are my last hope, because it seems as if he has lost his faith on both, Dev and I.
He needs love, he needs someone to make him believe that he matters, that he exists, that his life is important. I am hopelessly failing at that. I need you Pratima ji, I need you to bring him back. I need you to save my little brother from his own demons. He is fighting there, all alone and I keep watching, like the useless shit I am. Help me. Please, help me." He adds stifling a sob.

¤¤¤¤¤

"Are you kidding me?" Pihu says placing the rice back to the plate.

"Do I look like I am kidding? I am extremely serious sweetheart. I see nothing but a gentleman in him. He has sincere feelings for you. He respects us and not to forget he is one of the biggest business tycoons. What else do you want?" Dibakar says chewing on his food.

"What else I want? I want my freedom to choose my life partner back." Pihu says, straightening her back.
"I love both of you. But just because I love you, i won't allow you to impose your decisions on me like that. I am not a kid anymore papa. I am a grown up independent woman. I work for my own living. You cannot force me to do something that I don't want." She says with a tone of finality.

"Wow. Seems like we raised you wrong. The audacity you have to talk back to your father like that is surprising, Pihu." Bratati says.

"Well, I can surprise you more. Trust me I am capable of that." Pihu responds, unbothered.

"Stop. Both of you. Listen sweetheart, I don't want to impose my decisions on you, it's a request. Give him a chance. That's all I am asking for. And I've never asked for anything before." Her father says.