Chapter : 28

A Trip To Delhi.

The cup of coffee is sitting on the table, untouched. When he received her call this morning Dashis felt clueless. He was happy, curious, excited but nervous at the same time. He still doesn't know what's so special about Pihu that he feels so crazed about her. She was just another woman working under him. Yes, she always had that genuine intellect, smartness and straightforwardness. He liked it about her but was that enough to draw him this close to her. No. It was her tremendous willpower, her fearlessness. The way she never cared about what could happen to her job when she kept rejecting his advances. He was impressed. The way she remained truly professional and dedicated towards his company even after his multiple attempts, surprised him. He fell hard, even without realizing. But when she decided to give him a chance for the first time it opened something truly different within him. The thoughts that remained hidden somewhere deep within, resurfaced.

Now, when she is sitting infront of him, feeling uneasy about something, he is frightened. He has never seen her hesitant about something. Either what she is gonna say will be too good to be true or too bad to be accepted. He doesn't think he is prepared for any of that.

"I think I should start with the most important part. Dashis, I did say that I will give ourselves a chance but I don't think it's possible anymore. Also I don't think I have been entirely truthful to you."  Pihu begins and Dashis grips the cup tighter.

"What do you mean?" He asks nervously.

"Yes, I am explaining everything one by one, because I think you deserve to know this. Know the truth.
Although our ancestry belongs to Kolkata, due to my father's business I was born and brought up in Kurseong, . I spent most of my childhood quite peacefully, without any interruptions but then one fine evening when I was returning from my tuition classes my eyes fell on this guy standing infront the local bakery shop, helping the woman with her huge heavy bags." Pihu starts explaining when Dashis notices the slightest smile on her face and the dreamy glint in her eyes, as if she is reliving the best moments of her life. She continues,
"He was in his school uniform, his head full of wavy dark hair were disheveled but he had this extremely contagious smile on his face. Then like a magic trick my eyes fell on his. I have never seen anything as beautiful as his grey eyes. They were captivating.

I kept standing behind the tree looking at that guy. He had something too homely, too positive about him, one ought to smile if staying anywhere around him, so did I, I smiled.

As time passed, seeing him around the bakery became a daily habit and the best part of my entire day. He never saw me though, he never knew and I never let him. His Julian aunty is my July, she has been close to the both of us, so there came times when I used see him even when visiting her. He never noticed me, never spoke to me. He used to be very frequent at the bakery during the summer times, I didn't know the reason at the beginning but later I found out." Pihu sighs and her trance breaks as she clears her throat looking back at Dashis, who has his eyes focused on the table, his eyebrows furrowed.

"What I should have confessed to you a few months back is a weird truth, but possibly one of the biggest truth of my life. I have been harbouring feelings for someone from as long as I can remember. Although I never got or wanted anything in return. It has been years since I was dealing with my feelings all alone. So when my parents kept pushing and I saw your harmless intentions and probably genuine feelings for me I tried to move forward with life. Trust me, I tried.

But somewhere inside me there is this unknown suffocation that keeps me pulling back. I feel like I am being disloyal to both you and my feelings. Hence, I am stepping out of it before even attempting. I can't do this Dashis. I am really sorry. But my feelings for that man is way too deep than I initially thought. I can never love you that way and the relationship will be extremely unfair to both of us." She looks at Dashis expectantly.