Chapter : 12

Maharaja's Daughter.

The cold rain drops keep soaking his clothes, his glasses have become foggy but he stands there, unmoved. His eyes remain fixed at the kid who keeps looking at the dead bodies of his parents. His upper body has a thin, almost unusable piece of cloth wrapped  around itself, the dhoti he is wearing is torn from here and there. The cold droplets of rain that has the capacity of piercing through someone's body, has no effects on him. He is used to this, used to suffering. That's what one gets for being a farmer, a tea garden worker or a hodge, under their Maharaja's rule. Suicides are the most common part of their daily lives. Perhaps that's why the small kid keeps looking at his parents' lifeless bodies without shedding a single tear.

"It's getting late. You need to return, Aniruddha da." Tashi utters worriedly. He, along with some others of this village, has grown to love and respect this man with time. Aniruddha has become the sole point of contact for them when they face any, any problem at all. But even he cannot save them from their burnt fate. That's why even though he tries with his everything, incidents like this keep happening. Kids lose their parents, wives lose their husbands, grandparents witness their grandchildren dying infront of their eyes. Aniruddha has accustomed himself with these things but the ever growing rage within him is becoming unstoppable now. He tucks his hand inside the pocket of his pajama pant and brings out a few wet notes.

"I don't know how much it might take but make sure Rubai doesn't need to.... beg for his parent's last rites. Make sure he eats and doesn't fall sick." Aniruddha utters keeping his eyes fixed at the kid.

"Yes dada." Tashi confirms.

"And come to me if you need anything.... if he needs anything." Aniruddha adds to which Tashi raises his eyes and looks at his face. They still can't remember how and when this man got involved with them but they are grateful to God for sending him anyway. This man keeps fighting for them without thinking about his own safety, his selflessness has drawn them towards him. To them he is nothing less than a God.

Tashi sees as the man slowly walks towards Rubai and kneels infront of him drawing his unwavering attention. The kid turns his wooden face towards him but when Aniruddha opens his arms and gestures for him to come, the shield that he built around himself crumples. The pure big eyes fill with tears as his small lips start quivering but he still doesn't move and that's when Aniruddha pulls him to his chest. The heartwrenching sob breaks free as the kid wraps his tiny arms around Aniruddha's neck and he keeps rubbing his scrawny body while rocking him back and forth.

After a few minutes he picks Rubai up and hands him to Tashi.
"Take care of him." Aniruddha says rubbing Rubai's head.

"What's next dada? What will become of us?" Tashi asks, his voice breaking.