Chapter : 21

Not That Easy Love.

The obsidian eyes look back at the sun, as if challenging it. The tiny dimple decorates her left cheek as she smiles bright at the sky. Her wild unkempt hair flying everywhere. Candid, that's what he calls candid. She is a natural.

He hangs the photographs of numerous landscapes he captured today on the horizontal strings inside of his dark studio. Every frame has a glimpse of her, if one has her smile, then the other captures her shadow, if one focuses on her beautiful fingers, another stops the time when her hair was being blown by the wind. He has completed his set of work with utmost satisfaction.

But the pictures that had her face or anything even closer to her whole being, felt personal, too personal to reveal to the world.

His, those are his, just like she is.

He stands infront of the picture where she stands beside the lake, inhaling the fresh air, keeping her eyes closed. She looks ethereal.

He was taken aback when she said "That's it? I am all in." He never expected her to accept his offer but to his surprise she did, happily.

The clock strikes Twelve, bringing him out of his comforting thoughts. Reminding him that he dropped her off at 10PM. He still can't believe that Pihu truly spent the entire day with him. But now as the realization hits him he feels alone all of a sudden.

He feels insecured.

He runs out of his studio, breathing heavily, then starts shaking his head, as if having an internal debate. He runs back inside and roughly snatches out the photo from the clip. His eyes devour the scene infront of his. She is smiling at the camera, sitting on the grass. He places the photo on the table with a thud. The entire room is dark except for this eerie red hue. He places both of his hands on the sides of the photo as his panting increases.

"No....no....I won't." He keeps mumbling to himself, as if he is talking to someone else.

"I can survive a night. I can. I will. Do you hear me? I will." He clenches his eyes for a few seconds then snaps them open. He slowly brings his thumb and runs it over her lips as his own lips start trembling.

"Stop smiling like that. Stop doing this shit to my brain. Whatever spell it is, stop doing it right now. Because I won't fall for it.
I. Will. Not."

He breaths as a drop of tear falls on the photograph.

¤¤¤¤¤

"How have you been?" Pihu asks over the phone.

"I was really doing great until one of the Nagpati's felt like pulling me out of my peaceful life again. Trust me, I am so done with all three of them." Arjun utters, sounding tired. Pihu smiles.

"I feel you. Are you here?" She asks.

"Yes, I am. And without wasting time I will jump to the main question, when are you.... leaving?" Arjun asks sounding skeptical.

"That's the main question? I am leaving tomorrow afternoon, but we can always meet before that. How about tonight?" She asks sincerely.

No response. Heavy breathing is all she hears.

"Arjun? Are you there?" She asks.

"Y-you're leaving tomorrow?" He asks.

"Yes. Why? Is there a problem? Are you all right?" She asks nervously.

"The problem, if I am not wrong, is waiting outside your house right now and I need to talk to you about it. That's the primary reason I called you this early in the morning Pihu." Arjun says.