1.(C) a boy in a dream

CEDRIC

I

It was the worst dream he has ever had.

That shouldn't mean much -Cedric was soon to turn sixteen years old. What could he be possibly having nightmares about?

He wasn't supposed to have a lot of worries.

And he didn't even think he had them.

Maybe he was a little anxious about going back to school. The trip to Hogwarts always excited him. He would dream that he missed the train, forgot his robes or favourite t-shirt. Nothing more than the everyday scenes or justifiable occasional fears. During the school year, exams would wake him up between dreams of failure. From time to time images of his mother, who had passed away when he was a child, would come up. Not sure whether they were drawn from memories or imaginings of his mind, impossible wishes that reverberated inside and wanted to find their way though his sleep. Either way, a bittersweet feeling would welcome him, sometimes sweeter and other bitter and sad.

This time Cedric woke up with his heart pounding, as if it had been ripped out.

His chest ached.

Heartbeat sounded like gunshots in his ears.

He found himself sitting in bed, struggling to breath. Scared. Shocked. Fragments of memories flashed through his mind like shadowy lights. A spell. The ground floor. He could see his hands as he fell. Dead. He was dead in his dream. It felt so real. The dirt of the land in his hands. The anguish of knowing that he would not be saved. Death wasn't the only thing that angust him, but he couldn't catch the thought. There was a boy looking at him from far away. He saw him in the corner of his eyes just for a second before the pain finished him off.

II

He usually forgot his dreams after a few minutes or days tops. But that nightmare stayed in his memory. It wasn't nitid. Just some pictures remained. He could still find the feelings that came with them if he looked closely inside, which he did not. Carrying that weight in the back of his mind felt odd. Even if he wanted to find more details, the only ones he could remember were those that had come to him that early morning.

Nothing different or new.

The boy was the most intriguing thing. How could he even know it was a boy when it resembled a dark figure more than anything else? Someway he just knew. Now matter how much he tried to visualise his face, nothing else came up. It simply wasn't there.

Maybe it was curiosity.

The unexplainable and confusing desire to understand what they were doing there and who he was.

Dreaming with strangers wasn't something he usually did. He was not that creative, but really it was just a shadowy human-shaped figure. His next dream was far more concerning, despite his interest in seeing the boy better. Big green eyes were looking at him. That was it. Mist covered the rest of the face, growing thicker as he got closer. Only the eyes bulged out. Attentive. Intimidating.

He should have been afraid. In panic. However, sadness was the only feeling he could sense.

III

Cedric could not deny that he felt chased after dreaming of those eyes for more nights than he could count. Of course he knew no one was watching him. It was just a dream. Not real. Still, he walked through the corridors of Hogwarts as if he was looking for a spy.

As if he was waiting to meet those eyes.

It was a matter of time until his paranoid behavior had any consequence. One evening, on his way to the Great Hall, he thought there was someone walking behind him. Even would have sworn he heard steps. Turning back, all he found was a deserted hallway. When he looked forward again, it was another story. He caught a glimpse of a downcast boy walking in a hurry... towards him.