17.(CH) not the right way to say goodbye

CEDRIC

XL

They considered keeping their own teams, but it wouldn't be completely possible anyway. Cho was the only Ravenclaw and most were Gryffindors. Cedric wasn't very keen on teaming Hufflepuff with Ravenclaw, and not just because he'd like Harry to be on his team. His main idea was to share with new people from other houses, and he also thought that it was a great opportunity to get out of the usual roles. He proposed himself for the chaser position, something Fred and George found interesting.

So much so that they decided to play in opposite teams.

"There is always a first time for everything," one of them said.

"Let's see who wins."

A dash of competitiveness could be fun.

It was the Gryffindor girls' idea to name the teams, and they called theirs GIRLS ROCK , which consisted of Katie and Angelina, Cho, Hunter and George, who bragged about his luck. Tam almost changed at the last minute. The other group wasn't that creative to come up with a name, except for Fred who opted for GOLDEN since they had Harry, the best seeker, along with Ron, Tam and Cedric.

Harry and Cho would maintain their original position as seekers. On the one hand because they preferred it that way, on the other because nobody else wanted to try it, and Fred considered that being both so small it was the most suitable. The fact that they were both nearly the same height, Harry being a few inches taller, Cedric found adorable for some strange reason.

Not that any of them appreciated the jokes about their size.

At least Harry was far enough away to hear Fred say that he and Cho would look good together, which made Cedric laugh because that was what his own friends did to him. As each team finished deciding their positions, Cedric caught Cho's eye and walked over to Harry. He acted as if Tam was calling him from afar to let them talk.

Maybe Cedric wasn't so different from his friends.

Different strategies, that was all.

HARRY

XLVI

Ha had been left alone with Cho.

What were they supposed to talk about? All Harry could offer as a topic of conversation was Cedric. Awkward, considering she fancied him too.

Harry wished the earth would swallow him up.

He was just another person who had feelings for him.

"Would you have liked to play in another position?" Cho asked with gentle interest. "I heard they said we're small, but I bet I'd be an amazing chaser if I wasn't an even more amazing seeker."

The confidence in her delicate, smiling face impressed him.

Harry still had a hard time accepting compliments, and this girl just knew how good she was.

"Half of them would get bored after ten minutes."

Harry's estimate made her laugh.

She looked cute like that.

XLVII

Ron had taken his place as keeper in the hoop, while Fred had taken the same position as Cedric. George also decided to be a chaser, to level the playing field in the challenge they had set for themselves. The twins had never played against each other before, and it was a novelty to see their competitive side facing off.

Harry wished he could be in the stands, just watching the match.

Cedric as a chaser was fascinating. The way he stayed on his broom, carrying the Quaffle as he flew so fast and dodged the other players. His smile as he passed it to Fred, and his arms as he reached out to shoot the ball through the hoop. He was wearing dark pants and a sports shirt, from an international Quidditch team, that rose slightly on his stomach when he bowled.