2.(C) you vs me

CEDRIC

VII

If only it could have been improvised, rather spontaneous instead of planned... but there was no other way he could pull it off. When Cedric ran across Harry in the corridor, he wished him good luck for the next day's Quidditch match in a very casual comment, as intended. Cedric felt quite nervous about playing against Harry and really wanted to be friendly. He had been waiting for an opportunity to talk to him again and refused to let their second meeting be on the field, on opposing teams.

It suddenly occurred to him that perhaps that could be easily misunderstood. He could only blame himself, since that was all he had been able to think of in advance, and now he was afraid he had sounded ironic or like he wanted to pick up some sort of fight.

People didn't go around just wishing luck to their opponents.

But Cedric really meant it.

Perhaps Harry could tell because he got closer with a smile.

"Thanks," he said, walking next to Cedric. "Are you going to be there?"

Cedric wanted to stop, not knowing where he was taking him. The reality was that he had been wandering around aimlessly, no way expecting Harry to start a conversation. Cedric nodded in response, turning down the hallway to the left.

Maybe he did have a direction after all.

"Supporting your house, of course," Harry continued. His voice sounded warm, cheerful, not seeming at all nervous about the match or for talking to the opposing team.

"I will always support my house," Cedric replied confidently, and couldn't help but add, "But between us, I'd rather support Gryffindor than Slytherin."

That didn't come as a surprise to him. Okay, it was almost common knowledge. Most students from other houses would choose Gryffindor under those conditions.

"What if it's Ravenclaw?"

Harry was grinning. Why did Cedric realise that every time? He frowned a little, considering it. Sure, in that case he would be watching Harry play, but he had always been supportive of Ravenclaw.

"I have friends in Ravenclaw," he admitted, kind of embarrassed for not telling him that he would support his team. "So it's a clear conflict of interest."

The answer must have caught him off guard, because Harry opened his eyes and looked away. Was it his imagination or had that somehow sounded... suggestive? It hadn't been his intention. Cedric didn't use to act like that and definitely did not usually think of backing a team for a boy either, but deep down he knew he would root for Harry from now on -even if he kept it a secret. What harm could one more secret do, especially when his green eyes haunted his dreams? The least he could do was follow him into his games.

VIII

It was getting better, no doubt. Cedric was beginning to feel more like himself, even as he continued to act strange in some way. He was not going to let the silence stretch between them for long. Honesty always seemed like a good way to go, and he knew he could share it with Harry. After all, he was the one who had approached Cedric. And the Quidditch match was a common topic to bring up, so he confessed:

"I have to admit I'm a little nervous about tomorrow's game."

Harry looked back at him instantly.

"Why?" A sheepish concern spread across his face, along with a very small grin. "Afraid Gryffindor will beat Hufflepuff?"

"No," he answered immediately. "I am almost certain that it will."

This statement seemed to take Harry by surprise.