13.(CH) big surprise, you and him

CEDRIC

XXXI

«How was your date?»

«Was it with the person you told me about?»

«When will I meet her?»

«Wait, I already know her?»

Those were the questions Malcolm asked as he walked into their dorms within five minutes. Zacharias didn't even pretend to be doing anything other than staring at the scene without any qualms.

"I don't even remember you saying goodbye when I left, but you heard everything," Cedric blurted out with amusement, sitting on his bed and kicking off his shoes. He shot a mischievous look at his best friend as he clarified. "You were busy talking to Mandy."

Far from shy, Malcolm smiled. "That girl is amazing."

"Are you together?" Cedric asked, trying to hide his surprise.

"We are just friends."

"For now. You always say the same thing."

Malcolm had dated two Ravenclaw girls before for a couple of weeks. It had been months since the last time. His modus operandi was to talk to them endlessly. Tam said that he bored them so much and that was why they agreed on becoming something else, but Malcolm assured he had a good strategy of conquest and he would often try to teach them. Cedric didn't think it would work if you weren't a big talker like Malcolm and he doubted it was intentional on his part. It was hard for Cedric to admit it, but in fact he had learned a thing or two from him -none for such purposes.

He knew Malcolm so well that when he sat down beside him he knew it was to say something under his breath. "I thought it would be Cho, but she stayed with us the whole time."

Cedric had the need to ask why, despite the gust of confusion on his own face. Malcolm could sometimes talk for hours and other times he would be silent and it would be impossible to get an answer out of him, like this time when he shook his head and left Cedric alone for the rest of the night. The intrigue that came with it dissipated in the exact moment he found himself lying in bed thinking about his meeting with Harry.

Remains of the question of what had happened to him to be late and the reason behind such discomfort in his voice, as if speaking had been difficult for him.

His tears caught in his wide green eyes.

How thin and small he felt against his body in an instant of fragility.

How Cedric would have wanted to do more for him than to half console him uselessly.

The short hug and the quick goodbye played in his mind as more than just memories. Sensations he couldn't describe made Cedric fidget on his bed until he finally fell asleep.

XXXII

Two weeks later he was in the library doing research for his classes. Tam was talking under her breath to Willow, her roommate. Hunter from the Quidditch team was at his side, concentrating on the Potions homework Cedric had offered to help him with. They usually met to study in the common room or in the Hogwarts gardens when the weather was nice, but the need for some specific study material had half the chairs at the table empty because the rest of their friends were browsing the shelves.

Cedric was in front of a large stack of books that just might be helpful.

He would have found out if that was the case if he hadn't been distracted.

Harry's hair caught his attention. Cedric could see the profile of his face thanks to the recently unoccupied table that separated them. Hermione was writing on a piece of parchment and Ron was talking to Harry, who seemed to be enjoying himself when he turned around and his gaze met Cedric's. The smile still on his lips didn't fade one bit. On the contrary, it widened in such a way that Cedric couldn't help but think he looked cute. Cedric couldn't return it, frozen in his place as if he'd been caught in the middle of doing something he shouldn't.