11.(CH) invisible friend

CEDRIC

IXXX

Honeydukes was empty in comparison to the pub where he had spent the last hour. Walking the halls without bumping into anyone, Cedric greeted some students with whom he got along well, but didn't stop to chat. He had about half an hour to pick out some sweets for his father. It wasn't part of a commission, but a gift he would sometimes get for him when he visited the village. Instead of waiting until he got home at the end of the school term, he came to the conclusion that it was better if he sent it later in a little bag with his owl.

It usually sparked some joy in his father's life, and after those weeks where all his letters were covered in worry about his safety at Hogwarts, Cedric judged that it was a good time for a present.

Nothing said less imminent danger than a bar of chocolate.

He selected, among various flavoured beans and toads, his favourites and others that Harry might like, because he had decided that he would also buy to share with him. While carrying a full basket, Cedric spotted a long blonde hair at the end of the hall, looking at a mural with jars of the most colourful sweets they had in store. He moved closer, careful not to startle her.

"Luna," he called softly, a few steps away. "Hello."

The girl jumped.

"Hi, you," she smiled at him and turned her gaze back to the mural.

"It's been a while. How are you?"

Cedric observed some sweets he would never dare to try.

"Wonderful, Cedric. Wonderful," she replied, all smiles as she reached for a jar on the top shelf. Cedric handed it over. "It's been about four months since the last time. You helped me find a shoe," she reminded him, removing the lid to put some sweets in her basket. "It got lost again an hour later, but it was fun."

"You can find me whenever you need another shoe tracker."

He was in a better mood already, a common side effect of being in Luna's presence. They had been friends for many years. She and her father lived a few miles away from the Diggorys, and had grown close between the usual visits during the holidays. Luna was someone who understood him in a way that Cedric himself didn't. Both of them had lost their mothers when they were little, but Luna had been the only person who had been more interested in listening to him rather than telling him how sorry she was. His father was so devastated back then, and Cedric would never want to cause him more pain with his sadness when he already had his own, too big to bear.

How would he ever be able to repay Luna for everything she had done for him? Cedric offered to help her in whatever she needed, even though she wasn't someone who would often accept it. Luna was curious about how he and his father, Amos, were doing, and they discussed their plans for the summer. She wanted to visit a lake near her house and invited him to join her.

When it was time to meet Harry, Cedric had to say goodbye. He paid and left the shop, trying to handle the disappointment of not knowing if Harry was going to show up. He sat on the bench, because he wasn't going to be the one to break their agreement and he trusted Harry not to ditch him without a warning or reason.

XXX

He was half expecting to see Hermione and Ron approaching.

The main trail was nearly deserted. Most of the students must have been in the shops or at the pub. Cedric didn't remember telling Harry that he couldn't bring his friends or giving that sort of impression. He believed they would join them or that they would be the ones to notify him of the change of plans if Harry couldn't. Thinking about how he should have made it clear to Harry that his friends were invited too, Cedric realised that he was actually looking forward to meet them.