19.(HC) family should never be abandoned

HARRY

LIII

Ron was the one who was most interested in knowing about this Malcolm guy.

"He's a fan of Divination," Hermione said, not hiding her distaste for the subject. "Like the biggest I've ever met."

"Worse than Trelawney?"

She shook her head, claiming that he was so much nicer.

"Nice in a sympathetic way?" Ron repeated as he walked up the stairs with Harry that night, after an entire hour (unsuccessfully) trying to study and keeping Hermione company, who stayed in the common room. "What does that mean? Am I?"

Harry told him that he did think he was, but he wasn't completely sure what it implied. They entered the room in silence. Seamus and Dean were already asleep and the only light available came from the open window. Just before getting into bed, Harry looked outside. And there it was, the same animal with dark fur that he had seen on other occasions.

Without taking his eyes off the figure, he called out to Ron in an alarmed whisper. "Do you see it too?"

He had to point at a spot on the edge of the forest until he noticed it.

Ron stopped rubbing his eyes.

"What's that?" he muttered, scared.

"An omen," Harry replied, remembering one of his Divination classes, "of Death."

"According to Trelawney, you mean," Ron said, closing the window and the curtains. "It could be an animal that came out of the forest. Hagrid has to know something. Or Hermione. She doesn't believe in such things. I don't think we should either."

Harry didn't have the courage to tell Ron that he had already seen it several times or to remind him that Black still had to be after him, planning his next move. Both of them layed down, in a sepulchral calm that was soon interrupted by the soft snoring of his best friend. Harry shifted on the bed, not knowing what he would say to Black if he showed up in his room again. I want to sleep, he thought, for a long time.

He couldn't.

So many emotions were stuck in the middle of his throat.

If he was just worried about Black, why couldn't Cedric's expression be erased from his head when he left the field that way? Two suspicions became clear as the moon: things were going to get complicated at any moment and having feelings for someone could be more painful than he had thought.

LIV

Realizing that you have feelings for a person a few weeks before the end-of-term exams was definitely not a good idea. Even worse if it was one of the most popular boys, as handsome and out of his league, and you couldn't stop thinking about him. Or the fact that it wasn't what Harry would have imagined. He had rarely seen two people of the same gender who looked like couples in the muggle city, and his uncle and aunt did everything possible so that his cousin, Dudley, did not see them, unable to hide an expression as if they had smelled something in bad shape.

Harry didn't understand it, although that's how they sometimes looked at him.

They disliking something was exactly what he needed to know that it was okay, because there wasn't a single thing that Harry agreed with them. Not even with his classmates at his previous muggle school, who used the word gay as an insult, as a joke that no one wanted to be the target of but they had no problem being part of.

He wondered if the wizarding world was any different.

If he wasn't ashamed to admit it, he'd bet that he most certainly couldn't be the only boy who fancied Cedric. It was impossible, he would make anyone doubt. And although he was trying to clear his mind in order to concentrate on studying, the next time Harry saw him was that same week after Herbology.