24.(CH) what matters

CEDRIC

LXVIII

"There are no secrets then?" was a question that despite being asked with lightness and grace, it did not hide the guilt that he felt behind. Harry had confided in him so many things and Cedric wanted to do the same, but the only one he had was about his dreams and if he had already thought it might sound strange, now that he had been just about to tell him how pretty his eyes were, he couldn't say it.

He was sure it would seem like it meant something entirely different.

He knew he didn't have to share it, especially when the idea made him so nervous and it had been months since the last dream. Yet he promised himself that one day he would.

"Maybe a few," Harry admitted as they got up off the ground to head back to the castle. "I think you owe me one. I don't know if it counts when I have a clue though."

"What clue?"

"Draco accused me of protecting you when he found out the sentence wasn't carried out."

Despite the fact that Cedric had planned to take that scene with him to the grave, he answered honestly.

He felt sorry for so many different reasons:

It had not helped in any way.

It wasn't nice either, despite what Draco had said.

Draco had clearly annoyed Harry about it.

"That was..."

Silly? Risky?

He hadn't considered the small possibility of getting into trouble.

"Bold and brave," Harry concluded and rose to his feet to place his hands on Cedric's shoulders, barely shaking him in place due to his excitement. "I can't believe you did that."

"Neither do I. I'm sorry it didn't work."

"You are amazing."

It had definitely been worth it.

LXIX

"Someone is looking at you like they want to eat you as dessert."

Every friendship carried certain responsibilities.

Reporting those kind of things was Malcolm's job.

It didn't happen that often.

"You mean like a vampire?" Cedric teased, anticipating who it was.

His best friend shook his head with amusement and clarified in a low voice, "More like he wants to get into your pants."

"How could you know that?" he asked with genuine curiosity.

Cedric found the seventh year boy and even he had to admit that it sounded believable.

And that he wasn't sure how to interpret the fact that, looking back on the conversation he'd had with Oliver weeks ago, he noticed a couple of similarities to parts of the one he'd had with Harry a few days ago.

LXX

The last thing Cedric would have expected was for a certain older boy to head straight for him when their eyes met by chance on the way to class. "I noticed you were looking at me a couple of times."

It could be that sometimes it was intentional.

Not this time.

Oliver's wide smile and amused expression gave way to a grimace. "I realised that maybe I didn't have a filter when I talked to you earlier. I'm sorry if I've bothered you."