18.(CH) the evidence suggests otherwise

CEDRIC

XLIII

"I see you and Harry are good friends."

That was what Cho said when he returned with the last broom and placed it on the ground next to the rest. Cedric half expected her to continue, but that was it. No "when did it happen?" or "that's great". With that neutral tone, there was nothing that could refer to whether it was a positive or negative comment.

It sounded like an observation.

Correct.

"We are," he nodded, still confused by what had happened with Harry a few minutes ago. "Do you... do you like him?" he dared to ask, not anticipating his sudden embarrassment.

Was he trying to find out her opinion of Harry...?

Why? Was he going to play Cupid?

He had gotten upset with his friends for that and now he was doing the exact same thing. Perhaps he had been too harsh with them.

Cho's expression remained unreadable.

Strange, she was usually expressive.

"You don't like him?" he realised, a heavy feeling taking place in the middle of his stomach. He didn't understand how anyone, especially one of his close friends, could dislike Harry. Cedric wanted them to get along, because he appreciated him and maybe also because of Harry's feelings, which would be hurt if he knew. "Why?"

It wasn't like they had spent a lot of time together either.

What could have happened between them for Cho to think like that?

Could that be the reason for Harry's acting weird?

"He didn't take the match seriously."

Cedric let out a laugh, unable to stop it. Was that it?

"He's practically let me win," Cho continued, with a frown. "I don't know if he thinks he's the best and hasn't even bothered to play for real. Or he thinks we weren't a real opponent, which sucks because Angelina and Katie were amazing. And they're on his own team."

"Harry doesn't think that way," he stated too quickly. "He doesn't believe..."

"How can you know?"

Cho's raised eyebrow was a sign of her distrust.

"I know him," Cedric repeated, with a certainty that didn't change his friend's expression. "He doesn't think he's the best or anything like that. He is surprisingly humble, in fact. You'd like him if you knew him better. I'm sure."

Several alternatives later the situation seemed to have improved.

«We don't know what happened to him.»

«Perhaps he was tired and that's why he didn't play at his 100%.»

«It was a game for fun. Maybe that's why he didn't take it so seriously.»

"You should ask him," Cedric finally suggested, as they finished loading everything to the storage space on the field, in one of the towers.

That conversation had been quiet.

The softness in Cho's eyes as she nodded with approval reminded him more of the thoughtful girl he knew, the one with whom he shared points of views, who were always willing to listen to each other and tried not to be stubborn with their opinions.

"I may have misunderstood it," she muttered unhappily, after Cedric locked the door with the key he had as captain, and they headed back to the castle. "I feel awful. I ignored him when he was about to speak to me."