7.(H) how to become a seeker

HARRY

XIX

Just as Hermione anticipated, Cedric was named prefect of his house. Harry wanted to congratulate him, but Cedric was never alone. There was always someone else with him and Harry almost could recognize some of the friends he used to see around him even though he didn't know their names. No way he dared to talk to Cedric when he had company. And besides, Harry spent most of his time with Ron, who seemed to dislike Cedric a little bit.

Harry considered himself lucky with his small social circle at Hogwarts and often felt no desire to expand it. In his previous muggle school there was no one he would have wanted to be friends with. Most of the boys were indifferent or unpleasant towards him because of his cousin's influence. And even though Cedric was without a doubt the nicest and kindest boy he had ever met... Definitely someone Harry would want to be friends with...

Nothing like this had ever happened to him.

It made no sense.

Cedric was two years older and had a large group of friends: how could he befriend someone as young and socially awkward as Harry was?

XX

There was so much going on that he had no time to be disappointed. Time was just what was in short supply as exams approached, and Harry would be spending his in the library with Ron and Hermione, who was very busy with all the subjects she had chosen. At times it seemed as if she was about to explode from stress. Then she would appear with a cup of tea in her hands and she would look ready to take on the world while they tried to carry on without her usual corrections. Harry was struggling to keep up with studying and attending Quidditch practice.

Third year was officially consuming his soul and he was barely halfway through.

He was in a hurry to get everywhere and found himself in the middle of a fight against the urge to search for Cedric in the crowd. Sometimes his gaze would go in the direction of the Hufflepuff table without realising it, in the calmest moment he had. Cedric still smiled at him from time to time if they came across each other. They had not spoken again. Harry felt a little hopeless about it, but he should have known. Talking to someone a few times didn't really make up a friendship, even if it was late into the night.

And it was alright, actually.

He liked Cedric and Harry knew he liked him too.

Why did he pretend things to be any different?

XXI

Harry was so happy about finally going to Hogsmeade for the first time that he didn't mind at all having to wear his invisibility cloak to visit the small magical village. Or keeping it as a secret, because no adult had signed his permission form. He had already missed one of the visits, something that would not happen again. Although Hermione felt uncomfortable speaking to the air, Ron found it hilarious. It wasn't easy to walk into every shop without bumping into anyone, but Harry was careful and they were fine with waiting for people to disperse.

School break was his favourite time of the year, even though he wasn't particularly excited about Christmas. The sweaters Mrs. Weasley sent him every year made Harry hate the festivities a little less. Ron would say he didn't like his and wouldn't wear it, but Harry would sometimes put it under his Hogwarts clothes and never forget to pack it in his suitcase at the end of the year.

His invisibility cloak had been a Christmas gift, too, though he didn't know from whom.

And his broomstick...

This year he only half expected the sweater. He was surprised that Mrs. Weasley always remembered to knit one for him and thought that someday she might forget to. There it was, a deep orange colour, and that was not all. A long package stood out and to his astonishment it had his name on it. Ron urged him to open it up and it turned out to be an amazing new broom. Both of them were so happy they started jumping around in the Gryffindor common room.

Ron was excited about trying it out during the holiday weeks in the Quidditch pitch. Hermione, who had decided to stay in Hogwarts to use the library, didn't think it was a good idea and it generated a first break between them, because Ron refused to listen to her and they ended up fighting. Ron couldn't believe it when she suggested that it was possible Black had sent Harry the broom. That it might have some spell meant to hurt him, something very similar to what had happened in first year. Harry didn't understand how a runaway could have managed to buy a broom and send it, but he had no idea who might have done it, either.

He agreed not to use it until classes start again. Instead, he explored the castle, entering classrooms he didn't know yet and walking the nearly deserted corridors unable to stop looking at each student he passed.

Of course Cedric had gone home.

Taking advantage of his free time, Harry visited Hagrid every day. Sometimes in the morning, other times in the evening. Every time he would be waiting for him with the teapot ready for some tea in one of the biggest cups he had ever seen. Even when Hagrid was worried about all the fuss Draco had made after being injured in one of his classes (in no way it was Hagrid's fault), he would always take an interest in anything Harry had to say and they would talk about the most interesting wizarding stuff he had ever heard.

Harry never felt more at home than he did during winter break.

XXII

The restart of classes brought some surprises. Hermione was so concerned about the broom's provenance that she went to McGonagall, which resulted in her confiscating it to make sure it was safe for Harry. Ron stopped talking to Hermione, and although Harry wanted to stay angry, after a few days he understood that she had only cared for him and couldn't be upset about it.

Every week, Wood asked McGonagall when the broom would be ready, in hopes that it would be before the next match. Harry continued training and began taking private lessons with Lupin to defend himself against dementors. It was a more complex spell than any he had ever done before. With a lot of practice and a much needed tolerance for frustration, Harry got it right around the time he had his broom back for the match against Ravenclaw.

Harry was ready.

His usual nerves greeted him on the field while he took a moment to look at each of the other team members. He had never played against the only girl in blue uniform, who was in the same position as him. Wood had warned him about her, telling him how good she was.

What Harry did not expect was that she was so pretty.

Or that she was looking at him too.

A whole new and different wave of sensations rocked through his stomach. His face burned as he looked away. Why did he have to play against someone this beautiful?

Was being attractive a requirement to be a seeker?

I must be the exception , Harry thought resignedly.