21.(HC) someone has to die

HARRY

LX

Nothing was better than delivering the last exam of the longest week. Even if Harry was hesitant about the second answer, he was convinced that he would get a higher score than in Potions. Professor Trelawney took the parchment without even reprimanding him for using five extra minutes. The woman might have a creepy stare sometimes, but was also kind.

On her own way, of course.

At least she looked embarrassed before every gloomy prediction.

She called out to him before he could flee out the door. " Harry, don't do it ."

He turned around, not knowing what he had done wrong.

Was his exam so bad that she had to comment on it?

"Time is not something to be trifled with," she continued, her gaze straight ahead, motionless and rigid, and her voice inexpressive. "You won't be able to stop it. What should be, will be."

Just as Harry blurted out a strangled what, she seemed to come to herself, tilting her head in his direction in wonder.

"Don't do what?" he said again.

"Oh, don't cross out on the parchment. I'll take it this time."

LXI

Okay, that had been weird.

Which was saying a lot considering that in every class he had heard the most bizarre things about the inner eye (which, in his case, he was sure he needed glasses too), the crystal ball where the weather was always rainy and the usual lookout for shapes in the remains of herbs as if they were dark clouds in the sky. That had been the weirdest thing, and even though Harry was already good at ignoring bad omens and trying not to take them for granted, an alarm bell flickered in his head as he descended.

What wouldn't he be able to stop?

Would he even do anything ?

And what did she mean by time ?

At the bottom of the stairs his friends were waiting for him.

"How did it go?" Ron asked right away. "The second one was impossible..."

Harry kept the conversation about the exam in a one-way rather than a participative way, and Hermione was thanking Merlin and all the witches for giving up on that subject a few months ago. As they made their way through the corridors towards the exit, their voices diminished until they reached complete silence facing Hagrid's cabin, where they knocked twice.

CEDRIC

LVIII

He was talking to a couple of his fellow Ravenclaws about the Transfiguration exam when he spotted Harry and Hermione a few feet away, turning left in a hallway. Exams were finally over. Cedric said goodbye claiming that he would go to rest in his common room, and headed over to where he had seen them pass.

There they were, walking fast.

Hermione looked to the sides.

Harry turned around for an instant.

Cedric raised his hand, but Harry must have barely seen him because he turned back upfront again. Hermione took his arm and Cedric stood there, puzzled by his attitude. All he wanted to do was say hello, maybe ask them how they did this week. He caught sight of the quick wave Harry sent in his direction, half of his body twisted trying to look at him before disappearing down another hallway.