25.(CH) I almost forgot

CEDRIC

LXXVII

"Are you all going to the Quidditch World Cup?" Cedric asked the large group of Gryffindors, who claimed that they would very quickly, with a couple of 'I wouldn't miss it for anything' and 'of course' . George wanted to know which team he would support and started a discussion about his chances, considering previous championships.

Suddenly they were two Weasleys deep in conversation.

Malcolm, who hadn't left his side, was more shy than ever.

The cause was the redhead who simply refused to believe that he would not go.

"Sports aren't my thing," Malcolm tried to explain.

"Yeah but..."

"Mal, I think Fred here is trying to invite you."

Perhaps Cedric had read a little too far between the lines, but he didn't deny it.

"Well... if you wanted..."

Giving them privacy once they started talking about other mutual interests, Hermione expressed not being a big fan either, even though she would attend, and she was listening to the passionate talk about the players, especially about Victor Krum, Ron's favorite.

Harry didn't seem to be paying attention, as if he was lost in his own world.

With a little 'hey' Cedric brought him back.

"I guess I'll see you at the World Cup then," he muttered, half question, half affirmation. Unfortunately, he hadn't been able to hear Harry's response before.

"Ron and I have been planning this for months. I can't wait."

The way his green eyes lit up.

So adorable that Cedric couldn't help but smile.

"I'll see you there."

It would be a lot more fun if Harry was there too.

LXXVIII

"Have you packed your things yet?"

Cho even held a parchment in her hand where she had crossed off some items on a list. She went through it, omitting to mention a few, to prevent forgetfulness and told them about the time she forgot a really pretty blouse and had to go to the lost and found section to claim it.

"Magic is so convenient sometimes. My suitcase wouldn't close otherwise," Willow started talking about trying to use a muggle-style suitcase. "Just impossible. Nothing fits in them. My father does this sitting on top thing to close them," she said, laughing. "He has never let my mother or I help him with a spell, but he often asks us to save his shoes or coats in ours."

"My mother is always on board with a little magic."

"Because she's the fun kind of muggle," Tam replied to Malcolm, amused. "That woman would pass for a witch any day. Sometimes I feel like she reads my mind."

"That's part of her job," he cracked a laugh. "Listen to people and stuff."

Cedric got lost somewhere between the anecdotes of the patients Malcolm had mistakenly answered on the phone and how, in reality, there were no enchantments that could cure certain mental conditions. Cho mentioned that magic medicine was aimed at organic diseases, mostly, and Cedric remembered that it couldn't do much when it was serious, either. And immediate, like what had happened to his mother. An accident from which no one, however knowledgeable or powerful, could have saved her.

No matter how much that little boy had wanted to, he knew it now.

LXXIX

The last days of school felt like long goodbyes.