15.(HC) opportunities don't get lost

HARRY

XXXVIII

He had made peace with the fact that being friends with Cedric didn't mean talking or running into him every day. Their schedules did not coincide and they did not have many spaces in common. Harry no longer felt so unmotivated by it, but he had to admit that it was easier to accept when there were other more complicated matters on the table, such as deciding if Cedric was just a friendly boy he liked as a person or a probably impossible crush.

His head seemed to explode from thinking so much about the subject.

He would listen to Hermione and give it time. He didn't have to define it right now. Besides, he would most likely be able to clarify it himself when he spoke to Cedric again...

Whenever that would happen.

The thought that it would not be any day soon did not comfort him. He would have liked to spend time with Cedric, even if he now felt strange when he saw him in the halls. Different, as if the lens of his glasses had been changed and everything was blurry. He paid more attention to every detail he noticed and to his own body every time they crossed paths. Not that he expected Cedric to talk to him, even though deep down it was what he wanted. Cedric had said "see you soon" the last time and, although Harry didn't dwell on it at the moment, he remembered those words so well that he could almost hear them.

It didn't occur to him that Cedric had meant it.

His conclusion had been that it was something people said casually. A week after the match, as Harry headed off with Hermione and Ron to their last class of the day, he noticed Cedric's greeting. Harry walked past, so self-conscious that he winced. A touch on his shoulder and his name in the softest voice he recognized made him turn to face the boy who had invaded every corner of his mind in the last few days.

Filling it with doubts.

With that smile, the same one that had Harry so confused, Cedric introduced himself to his friends, even though they already knew who he was. Hermione shook his hand and Ron stared. "I'm organising one last Quidditch practice for fun, to loosen up a bit before exams. If you are interested, you are all invited to participate or observe, as you wish. I've also invited a few people from the Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff teams, of course," Cedric explained, turning to Harry as he added, "Cho has already said she was going. And of course you can tell the rest of the Gryffindor team."

His gaze fell on each of them.

Harry felt so nervous that Hermione answered first. "Of course we'll go. I don't know how to fly, but I'll be happy to attend."

"Yeah," Harry muttered, managing to raise his voice. "Sounds good."

It seemed like the perfect opportunity to figure out his feelings.

Although too soon, the thought of spending time with Cedric was not one he could pass up. Even if he was afraid of what he might discover.

"Ron here likes Quidditch," she continued, nudging him nonsubtly. "He could play."

"I don't know. I don't think I can," Ron said, not looking at anyone in particular.

"Why not? He didn't say the day," she replied. "I'm sure that-"

"I should probably study. Exams, remember?"

Such a thing has never, even been heard coming from Ron. Neither had he ever rejected anything related to Quidditch. Harry knew how much he loved the sport and several times he had lent Ron his broom to practise his flying skills. It would be an ideal occasion to train and learn for when he joins the team.