II: New Beginnings

Beyoncé Knowles

"Baby I miss you so much, I feel like I can't do this without you

"Baby I miss you so much, I feel like I can't do this without you." I spoke into the phone on the other side of the glass. "I miss yah so much more Bey, ya 'ave no idea." Rih spoke as she put her hand on the glass. I mirrored her actions, feeling my eyes getting watery. "Yah don' tink I did it righ' behbey?"

I couldn't lie and say I didn't have second thoughts, I remembered what she grabbed that day we were in her dressing room. But, I know Rih, I know that if she said that she didn't do it then she's innocent. "No, I don't think you did it Rih. We need to get you a good lawyer, somebody who can prove you didn't do it."

"We tried dat already behbey, even da lawyer couldn' prove I wasn' guilty. Da judge already gave mi 25 years." I felt a tear roll down my cheek as she said that. "I know, but the judge set a bond for you Robby, we can get you out." I was optimistic, hopeful at the least that I could get the love of my life from behind those bars before her 25 years were up.

"Giselle, da bond she set is crazy high, and I don' wan' yah using any money I left fa yah. All da money dat's in my safe is fa yah to be able to take care of yaself while I'm not out dere." I felt myself getting teary-eyed again, we've been through this routine I don't know how many times since she's been in here.

She won't let me use any of the money she had in her safe to bail her out. "Why won't you let me use that money baby? We can make it back right after we get you out." She shook her head, "No, I mean it Giselle. Dat money is not fa mi-"

"ALRIGHT INMATES, WRAP IT UP!" I felt sadness wash over me again, I couldn't stand this. "I love yah behbey, remember what I said Beyoncé." I nodded, trying not to cry again, "I love you so much more." We hung up the phones and I blew her a kiss as the officers took her back to her cell.

This had become our normal routine for the past year now. I couldn't believe it, I never thought I would ever be in this situation, but here I was. In love with a criminal. Even though I don't believe she did it, it was getting harder and harder to believe that. All of the evidence pointed back to her. Her gun with her fingerprints and no alibi.

I had to find a way to make more money. If I could bail her out and get her with me in the real world, all of the negative thoughts would disappear. I just needed her here with me.

•••

"Nicki can I talk to you about something?" All of us were at the club for rehearsal, "Sure Bey, what's up?" I took a bit of a deep breath, kind of nervous to ask her my question. "How much do the strippers here make?" I bit my lip nervously waiting for her answer.

"It depends really, if she's a favorite here she going home with at least 10 racks. If she's not really a favorite, but she still looks good she going home with a couple thousand. But, if she a rookie and don't really know what she doing, she not gon be making much." I nodded my head taking in what she said.