I: Be ready

Beyoncé Knowles

•••"Y'all have a good time in church today?" My momma asked as she walked down from her preaching stand

•••
"Y'all have a good time in church today?" My momma asked as she walked down from her preaching stand. "Yes!" the congregation responded.

"I feel the Holy Ghost is here today! I feel the spirit in here and moving. The spirit is telling me I wanna challenge you to be ready, keep on your minds on what we talked about today, be ready, be ready, be ready, don't get ready, be ready!"

My mother was such a righteous pastor. She spoke such words of wisdom with every word she spoke.

"Because the solemn man is coming back and He's looking for the church without a spot or wrinkle. I believe Matthew 24 and 44 also say be ready, because when you think the solemn man is not coming oh He's coming!"

"Preachers will you be ready?"

"Yes!"

"Choir will you be ready?"

"Yes!"

As my mother continued preaching, my mind drifted off. I began thinking about my best friend, Kelly. She hadn't been to church in so long. Almost a month, I miss her so much.

"I know I wanna be ready!"

My mother began to feel the words she spoke. She started to shout and dance around, you know how we do when we catch the holy spirit.

"I'm talking about when he calls my name, I'm gonna be called singing, I'm gonna be called praying, I'm gonna be called home to my lord and savior!"

"Yes lord I'm gonna have his praise on my lips, his name in my throat, when he calls me home!"

"Hallelujah pastor!"

"You better gon head pastor!"

"Yes!"

"Be ready! Be ready for him to call your name, be ready to say no to the devil's temptation, yes God hallelujah!" She sat down and began to settle as the choir leader, my aunt Regina, lead us into one our last song selection.

Thank the Lord. Don't get me wrong, I love my mother's preaching and singing the holy word. But, Lord knows my throat is getting dry, and I'm ready to go home.

I needed to finish my last few assignments for my Genetics class. I had a full ride scholarship to Texas State University. I going to be a pediatrician, I love kids and I hope to have some of my own one day.

We started clapping, matching to the beat of the drums, "Let's sing a old song y'all" she laughed. We began singing and the sound ringing from every corner of the church.

As the song came to and end so did the service, and we all said our goodbyes. Everyone left the sanctuary but me, I saw a Bible on one of the church benches. It automatically brought me memories of my daddy and the day he left me, I remember it all too well. It was a day I try too hard to forget, losing my father was extremely hard on me and my mother.