Chapter 5 Artistic Value and Soul Searching

Mikey really wanted a tattoo. Leo didn't care much for tattoos. He was not letting Mikey get one without some experimentation though. So he volunteered to be Donnie's first guinea pig. Mikey was understandably upset.

"Why do you get a tattoo?" He whined for the hundredth time.

"Because, what if Donnie messes up? What if the ink bleeds out? What if it gets an infection? I want to prevent you from getting hurt. You're lucky I'm even letting you get a tattoo in the first place."

"Ok, enough chitter chatter, I've finished the ink." Donnie cut in.

"Good, Mikey want me to get a small katana on my wrist,"

"You're letting him choose?"

"It was our compromise," Donnie just shrugged as he prepped the needle and the area. It was a small tattoo, but Leo was so transfixed by the way the ink formed on his skin. It wasn't that dark or noticeable, but it was the perfect shade for ninjas. Leo's first tattoo was healed in a week and once he was satisfied with the result, he allowed Mikey to get a tattoo. He even did the tattooing himself.

"Leo did your tattoos?" Casey marveled as he looked at all of the tattoos on Mikey and Raph. Donnie never really liked tattoos.

"Yup!" Mikey was proud to wear his brother's artwork.

"Who did his?"

"Besides the first one that I did, he did all of his own tattoos," Donnie answered.

"I really want a tattoo now!"

A young thirteen year old Leo was sitting in his hiding nook, working on a drawing. It was a beautiful drawing of a turtle warrior. The features were non descript, but it had a little bit of each of his brothers. The skin was Raph's dark green. He had Mikey's curious sky blue eyes, and he had flame surrounding him the exact beautiful shade of Donnie's purple aura. He was wearing blue samurai armor with a straw hat. People not in the know would think that the painting was based off of the Kappas of Japanese myth.

When Leo was done, he got up and hung it on a wall. There were many drawings and paintings hanging on the wall. Some with color and some in black and white. Every single one of them had a depiction of a turtle somewhere.

"Leo?" The rough voice of his brother startled the young painter. His bright blue aura flared and caught the paper on fire. Both brothers freaked out as they tried to put out the fire. Most of the painting was saved, "Sorry. I'll get you a new one. ANyway, how the fuck did you do that!?"

Leo stared at his own slightly weaker aura as Raph's flared in agitation. How had that happened? He reached his aura out to touch a random piece of metal. It moved. Raph was startled.

"My color."

"What? Whatever, don't tell me. Splinter wanted us all to meet in the training hall," Raph walked away, leaving his brother to stare at the burnt drawing.

"No wonder I was never able to find a replacement!" Raph shouted. He felt really bad about the drawing getting burnt up.

"I've seen some of these paintings," April whispered as she stared at the art, "Some of these are sold online. They make top dollar and the artist has never been seen!"

"Yeah, and some of them are in an art museum," Casey contributed. Everyone stared at him, "What? My sister likes art."

It was shortly after the last memory. Leo was staring thoughtfully at his aura lazily flicking about. How had Raph not seen that? Leo decided to meditate. He could see his aura, even with his eyes closed. He focused on the auras of those around him. Raph was practicing the sais, his aura getting calmer the longer he used them. Donnie was messing around in his computer den. His curious aura satiated for a bit as he created battle tech. Mikey was excitedly talking to Master Splinter, their souls intermingled in joy showing a close familial bond. Leo's own blue aura was much weaker than his family's. Despite that, he breathed as he forced his aura to stretch out and curl around the others. This helped him feel secure enough to meditate.