Chapter 11 Leaving Promises

It was a couple months after the invasion, and Master Splinter called Leonardo for a meeting. The turtle looked at his father's aura. It seemed to be quietly contained in rage.

"I heard about what happened in Brazil," Leo flinched as he recalled the failed mission, "And, I have finally decided your punishment."

"Sensei?"

"You did not act like a leader, my son. You pushed your team away, thinking only of the mission. This will not happen again, am I understood."

"Yes, Sensei."

"Good. I'm sending you away,"

"What?"

"You will be sent away for a year to train on your leadership."

"Alone? What if you guys get in-"

"We can handle ourselves. You will be going." Leo sighed as he saw the look on his father's face. There was no fighting this.

"Where am I going? When do I leave?"

"Costa Rica. One month. Say your goodbyes, gather your stuff, I want you back a better leader than before."

"That was harsh," Mikey said as he looked at the heartbreak on his brother's face.

"I always thought Leo wanted to go." Raph muttered.

"Where are you goin'?" Raph asked as he entered their room. Leo was packing up his stuff. The pack was going to be heavy. He had every weapon he owned in there.

"Costa Rica,"

"Why? You don't even speak the language." Raph smirked.

"To become a better leader, and I'm fluent in Spanish."

"Don't you need a team to lead?" Leo just ignored his brother. He wouldn't let him see the tears. Raph growled. He didn't like being ignored, "Fine! Leave us! It's not like we need you anyway." He stomped off.

"Hothead."

"What you'd say, Mikey!?"

"Ahh! Save me!"

"You're on your own, brother!"

Leo was sitting near Donnie's workspace. The turtle in purple didn't say anything as he quietly endured his brother's company. Leo was wrapping his aura around the beautiful purple one, trying to get as much comfort as he could before leaving. Mikey quietly came up and draped himself over his brother's lap. Their auras wrapping around each other as well.

"You guys may be seven foot turtles, but you are adorable."

"I will sock you in the mouth, Casey Jones."

The family was saying goodbye to their leader. Raph grunted before walking off. Mikey and April were in tears as they said goodbye, and Donnie gave a hesitant hug before stepping back.

"Come back to us." Mikey whispered as he hugged his elder brother.

"Don't worry, there is nothing in the world that would keep me away from you guys." (Raph scoffed) Leo rubbed Mikey's head.

"Promise?"

"Promise." There were flashes of labs and horrible screams before the memory returned to normal. Leo said his final goodbye, caressing each of their auras one last time before walking out of the lair.

"What the fuck was that!?" The family stared in silence. Screams of terror echoing in their minds. It sounded like Leo.

"We've never considered it, but," everyone looked at Donnie, "Maybe there was a reason that Leo stayed away so long."