Epilogue

Wedding Night

That night started terribly with Safa's panic attack. Azlan had already set up the couch for himself to sleep in. He knew it would take Safa a long time to be able to trust him to share the bed. He had even thought of sleeping in a separate room, but then decided otherwise since Safa needed him tonight after everything that had ensued.

"What are you doing?" She asked as she came out of bathroom after taking a shower, dressed in her PJs.

Azlan looked up at her. Her face devoid of any makeup and her waist-length hair damp as beads of water from them dropped on her face. He gulped heavily as he looked away.

Oh, boy, she was a vision right now.

"Umm...sleeping?"

"O hello mister, you can't just sleep like this." She sounded visibly offended. "Is that why you married me? So you can have your goodnight sleep while I survive the night listening to your snores and pass out out of boredom? Huh?"

"I don't snore."

"Ya, and I'm not a drama queen." She rolled her eyes as she ran towel over her hair to dry them out. His constant urge to run his hands through those thick locks surfaced again. He cleared his throat, shaking it off.

"You know, there's a thing called dryer?"

"I know you've always been jealous of my hair, but bold of you to assume I'll let you succeed in ruining them with whatever dryer, straightener, roller plan you have for them. I'm sorry yours are not just as beautiful as mine. I do feel for your terrible hair, but this is no way, Azlan."

She shook her head as she went back to hang the towel while he sat there, still trying to process what she had just said.

"Wait a second." He stood up as she came back. "You think I'm jealous of your hair?"

"Duh. Everyone is." She threw her hands up in air. "So you better stop putting nazar (evil eye)." She turned around and flipped her hair as she walked towards the dressing. The ends of her damped hair brandished over Azlan's face. He closed his eyes as he took a deep breath, inhaling the beautiful aroma.

"You really do live in your own little world, don't you, Hayat?" He said once he had contained himself.

"Well of course. The real world is not really nice to live in you know." She ran the brush through her hair as she looked at his reflection on the mirror.

She could see a shadow crossing his eyes at her words. Even though it was intended as a joke, what he could grasp was the profound depth underlying her words.

Taking small and calculated steps, he strolled towards her and holding her by her shoulders, turned her around.

"Are you willing to live in this world with me?" He put his one hand on her cheek as he rubbed his thumb over it. "I'll try my best to make it nice for you."

His voice held strong assurance, his eyes harboring determination. She leaned her face into his hand as she closed her eyes. His touch was soft. Like a feather. She melted right into it. She had craved this tenderness all her life, and she couldn't believe she was finally getting the love she had always yearned for. She wanted time to stop just right here and live in this moment forever.