29. Heart | دل

Before you begin,
Thanks for all the love y'all are giving to HOA. Honestly, I did myself a favor when I decided to write this book. Literally. I'm truly humbled and ecstatic at the same time!

©

"Why don't you and ma'am come together, now? I don't like it when you guys come alone!" A scowl settled on Ayyan's forehead as he complained from where he was slid under the duvet on his bed.

It'd been two days since Safa had moved out from Shehryar house.

"Yeah, but looks like your ma'am doesn't wanna come with me." A hint of despondency and sadness made its presence known through Azlan's tone. He was sitting just in front of Ayyan.

"So now, you're blaming my teacher, hun?" He grumbled as he slumped his emaciated shoulders in disapproval.

A soft chuckle escaped Azlan's plump lips. "Oh, so now you can even see through people?" He arched a perfect eyebrow, playfully, as he softened the lines on Ayyan's forehead with the pad of his thumb.

"Of course, I can. I'm a man!" He said with full vigor.

Azlan eyed the figure slouched on the couch with stiff expressions, making him shift in his position nervously. His father.

"Really? And what does your being man have to do with this fact, hun?" He asked as he scooped the spoon filled with soup and put it in Ayyan's mouth.

"A man is supposed to be strong. Someone who knows everything. Powerful!"

Just how his innocent brain had been molded! Azlan threw another harsh look towards his father who looked at him apologetically.

"Well, I'll disagree here." He said as he wiped Ayyan's mouth with a napkin. "The words; man and woman, have both been derived from 'human' which means before man, you're a human. And just like humans are strong, they can be weak, too, irrespective of the gender. Always remember, that you're human before man. And humans cry when they are sad; they laugh when they are happy. These strong and weak traits aren't associated with any particular gender. You understand that?" He asked with a smile.

"Hmmm!" Ayyan patted his chin with his forefinger as if thinking of conquering the world. Azlan chuckled at his innocence. "You actually make sense. I used to think the same way, too, you know? Mansha Api does all the house chores and baba can't even make tea for himself."

"See? It only depends on how you perceive things." Azlan dropped a lingering kiss on his forehead. "You're a fast learner, my child. I'm proud of you!"

Ayyan grinned back with his toothy smile.

******

The almost scorching sun announced the arrival of summer as Mr. Shehryar waited for Raina by his car. Beads of sweat had materialized on his forehead which had worry lines prominent on it already.

As the swarm of students emerged from the black gate of the university, his eyes fell on his distressed daughter.

"How'd it go?" He asked with a soft smile but the grim expressions etched on her face had divulged him the answer beforehand.

"I panicked... AGAIN!" She seethed while her eyes welled up but it wasn't the time to put up a show in front of ample people, so she floundered to hold them back.