31. Desires | خواہشات

The part in bold is flashback.

Sameena bored into the now sleeping form of her daughter who, a few minutes back, had almost given her a heart attack. She did not know how to make her understand that nothing in this world was worth sacrificing her health for.

Safa was in the kitchen, making tea for Sameena while Azlan had gone to drop the doctor since he had come along with them on their way to Shehryar house. The downpour was still going on in full torrents. Safa muttered duas for everyone out there, surviving in this bleak weather.

No one had told Mr. Shehryar anything. He wasn't in the city right now and so worrying him wasn't something rational to do.

Once in Raina's room, Safa placed the hot steaming cup of tea on the table situated in front of the couch and strode towards Sameena's dishevelled figure settled beside her daughter. Wrapping her arms around her shoulders, Safa made her sit comfortably on the couch and extended the cup towards her.

"I don't know what I'm gonna do with her." Her voice was light yet heavy. "I've never seen her like this. She's always been a bright kid who believed in smart work and always managed to secure 1st position as well. I know she had always wanted to get into NUST but I thought that was just her wish but seeing her turning it into her burning desire is neither sitting well with me nor her father. And today she crossed all limits. This was her first anxiety attack..."

"And I'm gonna make sure it's the last." Azlan's voice cut through hers and seeped inside her ears. She looked up towards him, his tall and lean torso standing by the door.

Taking long and quiet strides- so as not to wake Raina up, he strolled inside the room and took a seat beside Sameena who was now sandwiched between the two of them.

"Don't worry, okay? She's our intelligent bacha (kid). I'm sure if we talk to her, there's no way she won't understand." He clasped her soft hand in both his.

"Be my guest." She shrugged her shoulders. "Your father and I have already tried umpteen times."

"That's different, mom. You guys belong to different generation. Your mindset is way different and contradicting to ours. And I'm, in no way, saying you're wrong. You guys are right in your own place. But your way of perceiving situations and handling them is different which doesn't sit well with the people of our generation. You give your verdict and even if it's the only right solution, it comes off more as controlling the other person and no one wants that. Would you?" His tone was calm but determined.

"But I've never done that. Your father has never done that." She protested meekly.

"I know. You two are the most understanding parents any child would crave to have." He placated her and a shadow crossed Safa's eyes, a tadbit of jealousy surging up inside her.

"But you guys saying 'it doesn't matter. It's not that important' is also not the right way to deal with it. Just because her dreams are different does not mean they are not important. They matter as much as anyone's does."

"But that doesn't mean she has to take it to her head and destroy both her mental and physical health." Her eyes welled up with worry and fear again.

Safa who was sitting there, witnessing the conversation between the mother-son duo did not feel awkward for once. As if she belonged there only. Wholly and solely.