Chapter Seventeen

Lyra

Four years ago:

It was the night before Halloween, I stood in front of the mirror and ran my hand down my dress.

"Do you like it?" Bridgette asked from the doorway.

"It is a dress." I gave her a small smile as I turned to her.

Bridgette was almost unrecognisable with her long black wig and her pale makeup. While I didn't look that different, just with darker hair.

"Come on, you look cute." Her smile lit up her beautiful face, reaching her eyes.

Dressing up as Wednesday Addams was far from my first choice in costumes. But I was grateful for the choice, considering how much worse off I could have been.

Bridgette got this great job for tonight and asked me to help her out. It was the wedding of some wealthy family. I only imagined what one of their parties was like. Out of the handful of times I eavesdropped on Lilian and all her friends, I heard them gossip about her classmates and how the children of wealthy families were called desirables.

This wedding happened to be a Halloween themed wedding which required us to dress up. Unfortunately, the bride had chosen our costumes and had chosen Morticia and Wednesday.

More than anything, I was grateful it would blend in. We wouldn't be as noticed.

I helped Bridgette get everything she needed into her car before we made our way into the city.

"Are you excited to go out tomorrow night? Your dad said you were going out with friends from school."

My heart started to beat fast as my stomach dropped, and I just froze. I stared back at her as I tried to say something. "When did he say that?"

"A few weeks ago, I offered to take you and he said he wanted you to go with friends. I'm glad you're making friends, Honey."

The knot in my stomach tightened as I gave her a small smile. "Yeah."

The wedding went by far quicker than I expected it to and we were soon in the reception hall taking photos of everyone enjoying the reception.

"Why do you take a few photos while I get you something?"

"Can I have water, please?"

Bridgette squeezed my hand gently before disappearing and I made my way through the crowds and took a few pictures here and there.

The wedding was beautiful, they made Halloween look so elegant and beautiful. To my surprise there were also kids my age around. They were also dressed up and joined their parents on the dance floor that sat in the middle of the large room.

I lifted my camera up and clicked the button on the top, taking a few photos.

I brought the camera back down, dropping my head to look through them. A smile touched my lips as I studied the photos I had taken.

"You have to be joking." A voice mumbled, and I snapped my neck up to look at who said that.

I found my older sister standing there, staring at me with a look of fury. "How the fuck are you here, Lyra?" She grabbed my arm and dragged me to the side of the room.

"I'm helping Bridgette with a job."

Her eyes dropped to the camera in my hands. "A job? She couldn't find anyone better than you to help her?" She reached out and snatched the camera from my hands before I could pull it back.

"Lilian, please."

"Isn't this the one you have in your room?" She held it up and flicked through the pictures I've taken before a smirk spread across her face. "Did Bridgette give this to you?"

"Can I have it please? I-I'll take pictures for you and your-"

"You are not offering that right now. Do you honestly believe that I would want you anywhere near my friends when I didn't even want you in the same school as me?"

"Please, Lilian." I begged, trying to hold back my tears.

She took a step away from me and her out her arm, letting the camera from her gasp, smashing to the floor.

My heart broke as I couldn't stop it from falling.

"Feel lucky, Lyra. I could step on it or could have actually broken it. Utter a word about me being your sister to anyone here, and the camera won't be the only thing I break."

I looked up at her before checking my camera to make sure it wasn't too damaged. "Why does everything have to be about you? I'm not here to ruin your life or whatever you think I'm doing here. I'm only thirteen, Lilian. I'm here with Bridgette."

"How unfortunate that I've had to be around you for that long."

"You win." I gave a tired sigh before walking around her.

"I mean It, Lyra."

I ignored her, walking around to find Bridgette as I carefully checked my camera.

Lilian was so full of herself, she always made everything about herself.

"You look like a freak, by the way." I heard her say before I quickly found Bridgette.

"Hey, Beautiful." She smiled as she held a bottle of water and a piece of cake in her hands. "I got us some cake to share. Come on." She grabbed my wrist and took me to this small table that was off to the side, so unnoticeable, yet we had the view of everyone.

"Thank you for bringing me."

Her smile made me feel so warm and safe. "I love spending time with you."

"Did you and my dad get along when you were growing up?" I asked as I opened my water.

"Are you and Lilian still not getting along?"

I shrugged. "She doesn't like me much."

"She loves you, Lyra." Bridgette squeezed my hand gently. "Your dad and I had our ups and downs, but he was a good big brother. Loving. Caring. Protective."

I nodded. Digging my nails into my palms. "He's a good dad too."

"I always knew he would be." The bright smile on her face hurt, yet I loved it. I loved seeing her smile.