Chapter Nineteen

Lyra

This morning, I thought I was up early enough to avoid seeing Alec and Lilian, but sadly I was mistaken.

I sat at the island in the middle of the kitchen, sitting my iced coffee with my straw when I heard her voice shatter my peace.

"Her cars not in the drive way. Yet again." She mumbled as they both walked into the kitchen. Her footsteps came to a hault when I felt their gaze burning into the back of my head. "Lyra."

"Morning. I made coffee."

Alec walked around the island and gave me a small smile. "Thank you, Lyra. How did you sleep?"

That took me by surprise. But before I could answer, Lilian cut in, standing on the other side. Her arms crossed over her black silk tanktop. The usual displeased look spread across her face. "Don't ask her how her sleep was, ask her where her damn car is."

"It's her car, is it not?"

"Technically-"

"The window got broken last night. Someone was messing around behind the back of the shop."

Her eyes went wide. "So you just left your car there?"

Alec came up behind her, pressing his hand against the small of her back. "Enough." His tone was so much harsher than it usually was.

Alec was a gentle, kind person. He stayed to himself and didn't have an interest in drama, which was beyond the opposite of Lilian. She lived and breathed drama. It was a wonder to me how they ended up together. How he married her or considered having children with her.

"How did you get home? You didn't walk did you?"

"No, Teddy's friend drove me. He's getting my car fixed."

He smiled softly. "There's no reason to be mad, Lil. She got home safe, her car is being fixed."

"Wait. Why didn't you call us?"

Nothing could ever just be a thing with her. It always had to be turned into this.

I know she didn't ask for this, she didn't ask to be raising me. She didn't want this. And It was all my fault.

"My friends weren't answering and Teddy told me to call his friend if they ever didn't answer."

Her lips pursed as she shrugged Alec's hand off of her. "Who?"

"River."

I bit my lip back as I prepared for whatever cruel remarks she had to say. My nails dug so deep into my palm, I felt blood trickle down my finger.

Her bright eyes went wide before her displeased look twisted into an amused look. "River Evers helped you? He's getting your car fixed for you? I didn't know you spread your legs for help instead of calling your own sister."

Her words stung. They always did, and she got off on hurting other people.

Alec's face paled and before he could say anything, I got up and headed for the door.

"Don't walk away from me!" Her voice trailed close behind me. "You should have called me! I'm your guardian, I'm supposed to help you!"

"You are far from a guardian, Lilian! You are far from my sister!" I opened the door and was so relieved when I saw River's black Audi sitting in the driveway.

She only followed behind me out the door yelling, "Why didn't you call us last night? You should have called us instead!"

"Because! I have to go to school!" I took faster, longer steps, and for the first time I was relieved to see River.