Chapter 4: Picnic at night

saturday midday, jimin arrives at their school's tailoring studio, dozens of fabric samples displayed on the table in front of him. he's been thinking that he wants this small collection to be bolder than what he'd done before, with more textures and figures. so he spends some time now just standing there, layering different samples on top of others to find the perfect combination, and that it could work with the details and forms he's sketched out all week.

jimin was grateful for choosing fashion design because, as much as he loves to see his sketches and ideas come to real life and be worn by someone, what he appreciates the most about his career is that the process is equally gratifying. everything that involves creating a garment, from sketching, the fabric selection, confection and lastly building everything together, brings the most amazing satisfaction to him. he could get lost in a world of possibilities, colors, patterns, textures and shapes fluttering before him, without any limitation or rule to stop him from creating something unique and breathtaking.

because fashion was like painting and photography, the design could be as abstract and complex as the artist wanted. he suddenly remembers his chat with taehyung the other day, about how they got each other's feelings for their own art and their products, even when anyone would feel their majors were completely different, they both know the truth, and that brings a small smile to jimin's face as he keeps organizing his fabrics and analyzing his materials.

****

jimin loses track of time in the studio as the pink and huge clock on the far wall of the room marks fifteen to nine, so he hurriedly organizes all his stuff and packs it to leave it in his designated storage box and exits the room, actually stomping into the campus guard who was just about to close the studio.

he quickly thanks him and gets into a jog to the nearest convenience store on campus to get everything for tonight's time with jungkook. it's his time to buy the snacks, so he goes all out and ends up getting two big bags filled with snacks and drinks, more than enough to binge watch some shows until morning. he climbs the stairs two at a time and when he gets to his door, he quickly turns the key and "why are you-!" "you don't-!"

jimin stops at the door as the shouting from both jungkook and yoongi stops too. the couple turns to the door startled. the red-haired just pauses at the scene, yoongi turns to face the other side of the room and jungkook hugs himself tightly.

"uhm," is the only thing jimin manages to say. his friend turns to him, voice watery. "it's nothing, jimin, we were just-"

jimin stops him with a gesture of a hand (which still carries a very heavy bag full of snacks). he steals a glance at yoongi, who jimin just notices is shaking a little, trying to calm his breathing and the sobs that manage to escape his throat.

jimin looks at his friend concerned. "it's fine, i can come back later," he starts, but yoongi subtly turns to him and clears his throat. "no, it's okay, i was about to lea-"

the younger grunts in a refusing manner. "no, i'll come back later. please don't leave without sorting this out, you both have been acting really weird lately, so i'll just go so you can talk about it calmly" he remarks the last part, eyes going from his friend to the blond.

yoongi sighs but nods, and looking at yoongi's reluctance, jungkook nods too. both then look at the floor and jimin takes that as his cue to leave. he simply turns around, throwing a final look at jungkook that clearly says if something goes wrong you call me immediately, which is answered with a soft smile and a gentle nod. the redhaired returns the smile and closes the door.

once outside, he takes a moment to rearrange the bags in his hands and, with nowhere else to go, starts walking.

* * *