Chapter 7: A twist of events

as jimin gets out of the bathroom and heads to his room, he stops in his tracks when he hears jungkook on the phone. it's not the act that makes him halt, but the name that he hears before the boy ends the call.

"yeah, tomorrow is fine... okay... yeah, okay..." a pause, jimin watches as his friend stills for a second and looks up at the ceiling, lips quivering when he looks back down. "me too, yoongi, bye."

it's there when jungkook turns around and finds the redhaired standing outside the bathroom, a question in his eyes. jungkook opens his mouth to say something, signs to the phone and mumbles something incoherent until jimin stops him with a raised hand, a grin appears on his face as he comes closer.

"looks like you made a decision...?" prompts the older. jungkook takes his time to react, but a small smile finally forms on his face some seconds later, and he answers his friend with a short nod.

jimin returns the nod with a proud smile, he heads to his friend reaching to ruffle his hair and fakes concern as he exclaims "a good one, i hope." jungkook huffs at that, but looks at his friend sincerely and nods again, making a weight lift from jimin's chest.

he resumes his way to his bedroom, and while he's getting himself ready for the day, he can hear some noises coming from the kitchen, even some happy humming. it makes a smile come to jimin's face, but it only lasts a few moments as the never-fading feelings of longing and loneliness threaten to ruin his mood. he shakes himself from those emotions and pats his cheeks as if to wake up.

"you're fine, jimin. you're great," he recites to himself in the mirror. when he feels a little lighter, he forces a smile on his lips, and with a final sigh, he heads out of the room.

* * *

there are a lot of things that jimin doesn't notice and, same as him, taehyung is also oblivious to certain details. like how every time they're at the same place, their bodies seem to gravitate to each other. they also don't notice how their hands are always looking restless for any opportunity to touch, thirsty for those little brushes of skin, giving in to that brief connection their souls silently long for.

jimin neither notices how taehyung's eyes search for something, always ceaseless - maybe they look for a sign? a proof? - every time the redhaired is not watching, as he finds nothing but his dangerous attraction to the boy.

taehyung doesn't know the recurring thoughts and emotions that drown jimin sometimes, the heaviness that from time to time invades the boy's chest and that makes it hard to breathe. that is, until he sees the brunette, and when he makes taehyung laugh or when he receives a compliment from the other, just then the heaviness inexplicably disappears.

all these hints that both tend to ignore, but that makes their fate and their connection even stronger and more sincere. and right now, in the middle of the photography workshop, being side to side and sharing smiles as they review the pictures jimin took for today's assignment, this is enough for the universe and for them.

moments later, a couple of minutes before the class comes to an end, jimin feels his phone buzz in his pocket a couple times, but as the professor is giving instructions for the next session, he waits until the man is finished speaking.

once the class is over, taehyung turns to head towards jimin, but he catches the other boy taking his phone out from his pocket and then giving the device an exasperated look. jimin stares at the ceiling for a second, eyes closed, and lets out a sigh, then looks back down to his phone and quickly taps something. taehyung decides to get closer and check if everything is okay. he hears a soft ding coming from jimin's phone and as he reads the message, a frustrated growl leaves his throat. when the taller reaches his side, jimin's shoulders are slumped in resignation.