Chapter 5: It's a date

jimin wakes up to the noise coming from the kitchen. he stretches lazily and reaches around him and under the cover to try and find his phone. once he gets a hold of it, he unlocks it and a smile slips on his face at the text from taehyung wishing him sweet dreams which he missed after finally falling asleep at 4 in the morning. he decides not to complain though, as the corner of his phone shows the alarming time of 1:47 in the afternoon. not too scandalous for a sunday at their place, but still late.

when he heads to the bathroom, he gets a glimpse of jungkook in the kitchen by the stove cooking something. once he meets his friend with a simple nod and a smile, getting the same in response, he settles himself on a chair, curling himself on it and resting his head on his knees as he waits for jungkook.

now that he gets a closer look, he can see the puffiness on his face and the dark circles under his eyes, how his hair sticks stubbornly in all directions, which probably means he had a restless sleep, if he even got some sleep at all.

jimin has seen jungkook and yoongi fight a few times during the year, but not like this, nothing that wouldn't get solved in a couple of hours and had them all together for dinner that same day.

"want some fried rice?" asks jungkook suddenly, breaking jimin from his trance. jimin smiles softly and nods at his friend. jungkook starts to pour the food onto two plates without another word, he hands jimin some cutlery and then comes to join him at the table, placing his friend's plate in front of him.

the red-haired smiles at him again and murmurs a lazy thanks. he starts to take small bites of his food, eyes not leaving jungkook, who moves his food around the plate for a while and finally takes the first bite after a sigh.

after some minutes of silence, jungkook brings his gaze up and looks at his friend with puppy eyes. jimin catches his stare, fork halfway to his face, mouth open. jungkook's gaze turns to the floor, then to his friend, then to the floor again.

jimin lets go of the fork softly and sighs, which makes jungkook look up at him again, pout still on his lips. jimin smiles. "jungkook, just say what you want to say already."

the younger reaches a hand to jimin over the table and the older takes a hold of it in a second. "i'm sorry about yesterday, you didn't have to leave, it was- we just-"

"don't worry about that, kookie, you don't need to be sorry. it actually turned out really great," that last part more to himself than his friend, a dumb smile threatening to slip on his face, so he shakes his head to focus, "but i am obviously worried about you. i didn't want to push you into telling me, but now that is coming to you being like this," he gestures to the younger with his head, which makes jungkook squirm on the chair, "did something happen with yoongi?"

jungkook brings his feet up to the seat mimicking jimin's position, and settles his head on his knees as he sighs. "i don't know, it's just that-" he pauses, trying to order his thoughts. "is just that, now that yoongi is done with school but i'm still here with three years still to go i feel so useless. he's working his ass off with two jobs to save for our own place, and i can't even try because of my stupid school schedule. i told him i could drop for a year, find some part-time job or two to help him, but he said i don't need to do that, but how can't i? i'm the freaking dom here but i feel so pathetic. we barely see each other a couple of hours a day before he has to go again, and i just... i told him that if he wanted to... to maybe break this off, or rethink about us again-"

"you what?!" his friend shrieks

"stop, jimin, i already got that from yoongi." he slumps himself like a ball, guilt washing over his features. "how anything about last year has changed me or made me trust our relationship. and maybe he's right."