13.5

"Oh, it's good to see the two of you again."

Darius smiled as he walked into the ballroom, much less decorated than it was before, which saddened you a bit.

"It's nice to see you too, Darius!"
You smiled, watching him smile back as you made eye contact.

"Amity, you're with me, if that's fine by you?"
He asked, Amity nodded.

"And Y/N, the spare room opposite is free again, I've made sure to keep it clear from now on until the two of you graduate."
He finished, as he started walking to the training rooms.

You picked yourself up and started following behind.
You spotted Amity's stiff professional posture, and realised how loose yours was.

Were you starting to treat this opportunity less seriously?
Was that why Amity was always better than you? Because she treated these events like a job, as professionally as possible.

The corridors started to fly by you as Darius stopped at the two doors to the rooms you trained in.

You caught Amity looking at you in the corner of your eye, and you turned to face her.
But, she was gone before you could say anything.

"If you need me Y/N, feel free to come into this room, I'll properly catch up with you at our next meeting, ok?"
He smiled, you nodded, then he closed the door.

Then it was just you.

Turning to the door to the other room, you grabbed the golden, but most likely brass, handle, and entered the other room.

It looked the same, and was relatively small, but the table seemed to be mo-

"Hello, Y/N!"

You felt the heat rise to your cheeks from your name being called, as you noticed the Golden guard sat in a chair resting against one of the walls.

"H-Hunter? What are you doing here??"

"Wait- How do you..? Oh, right, I told you."
You could tell he was stammering with his words as he started messing with his staff in both hands.

"Did you forget you told me?"
You felt your heart sink a little,

"No, of course not! I'm just not used to being called by my name.. it's nice."
He chuckled and looked away, despite his mask covering every feature of his face.

Hunter stood up, as the two of you bathed in an awkward silence.

There was so much you wanted to talk about, school, Amity, his life in the palace..

He was weird. In your head, the idea of your relationship was weird.

You felt like you needed to treat him like he was some kind of powerful figure, which, he was.
But you felt another part could tell he really enjoyed being equal to someone.

Once he coughed to end the silence, you could tell that idea was burying itself into the back of his head.

"Anyway, enough of this. I have a job to do."
He huffed,

"What would that be?"
You asked.

"I'm here to train you, to make sure you fit into the Emperor's coven."

A sudden flood of emotion overwhelmed you.
The last time this happened you nearly had to fight him.

You shook a little, but swallowed the fear, you weren't going to let this get to you again.
Being here meant confronting your anxieties, whether that meant dancing, or talking to a coven head, or even being in the presence of the Golden Guard.