22

Grom.

Grometheus the fear bringer. 

The dread you felt walking into Hexside that day was suffocating.
You new you were a candidate to be picked from, you knew how powerful you were. 

It wasn't like training with the head of the Abomination coven and the actual, in the flesh Golden Guard was going to make you any less of a candidate.

You started to feel sick when you walked into the school building.

You made it to the first floor of the Atrium, admiring the decorations that lined the halls. All in matching shades of yellows and gold.

"Amity, you seem really.. pent up today." You asked,

"Don't act like you don't know what today is." She answered, rather harshly too.

"No, I know what day today is, but we've always been candidates to be selected from, you seem especially jumpy this year."

You saw her fluster a little and suddenly noticed the pink note in her hand.

Oh...

You weren't going to say anything, she didn't. 

"I know, but everything feels different this year. That, and you found out that I was friends with Willow, and I told you about how it all ended horribly. Then, I told you about what happened in her mind, and now I'm so emotionally conflicted. I don't know what to do. I'm even thinking about just leaving Boscha and Skara. Titan, I hate this school sometimes." 

She groaned as she walked by your side around the circular balcony, off the edge you could see ribbons, streamers and balloons slowly filling Hexside's central hall, catching the light from the skylight up above.

You overheard sirens and screams as you saw one of the Beast Keeping witches on a stretcher, then suddenly realised this was just an elaborate way to ask Skara out to Grom.

It was always Skara, she was easily the most attractive and social of the group, considering her social media presence too. But it never got on your nerves, it meant less people were going to see you as someone to ask out. 

Because you would say no, every single time. 

You and Amity usually went together as friends, Boscha would go with her team.

"Ughf!-"
Followed by a clattering of books against the ground.

"Watch it, nitwit- Oh, hi Luz."
You didn't see the collision but you could assume what happened.

"Hey guys!"
You chimed in, with Willow and Gus quickly waving back at you.

Both Luz and Amity were on the floor, and the girl in the multicoloured uniform stood up and picked up the things she had dropped on the floor.

"Here's your note,"
Then you saw Amity snatch it out of Luz's hands.

Yep, you knew what that was.

"You got some quick grabbers-"

Then your nausea returned to you.

You heard the intercom ring, followed by a silencing of the students around you.
Willow put a hand on your shoulder, somehow she knew you were nervous.

"Attention Hexside students."
It was Bump.

Any chance of this announcement being anything else suddenly went out of the window. 

"This is your Principal speaking."

Witches around you were expressing their anticipation, Gus had his fists clenched in front of him. Amity was hiding behind the books she was holding.