23

Yo! You get two chapters today because I didn't have one ready for Tuesday.
Happy Birthday,

Taco <3

--------------

The stature of a deer, or a bird stood by a balcony that overlooked the palace grounds.

The Emperor hissed, he was tired of this.
Tired of waiting.

He wanted results. But at least he knew he wouldn't be waiting for something for much longer.

"Hello, Uncle. You requested for my presence?"
The Golden Guard had quietly wandered through the palace halls and up to the balcony to stand next to his uncle.

"Yes, Hunter. I am glad you arrived."
The Emperor hunched over the stone railing, writhing before regaining his composure.

"The prodigies graduate in exactly seven days. But, I fear there are too many that are not up for the challenge of being a guard for the Emperor's coven."
Hunter shivered a bit, realising how the Emperor was easily playing with these witches' lives, their futures were at stake.

"I want to do what we normally do for coven scouting, to weed out the best of the best. Until only one stands."
He spoke coldly.
Knowing the dreams he would be crushing in the process.

The golden guard gasped before he could stop himself.
"But, my Lord, why? You've trained the remaining eight for over a month now, surely more than one deserve to graduate."

"Don't act like this was my decision. I know you've been playing favourites to that Abomination track witch."

"You've given them an advantage, taught them everything you know. They even learnt the magic I-"
"The Titan, deemed to be artificial."
The golden Guard knew full well that your newfound magic was none of his fault, yet he believed every word the Emperor spat at him on that balcony.

A guilt was eating at him, for his betrayal. For your safety.

"The Everlight needs to be sealed off to a coven soon. If not ours then someone else's. Darius seems fond of them."

"That magic needs to be kept in check. If we cannot bind them to this coven, then they need to be separated from the rest of their magic. The Titan only knows how they would lash out on the isles if we didn't. Hunter you know I'm only doing what is right."
There was a sadness in his voice, a sadness as real as a crocodile's tears. His words were venom coated in sugar.

"Are you aware of a type of magic they don't specialise in? One that they use the least?"
Belos fell silent waiting for a response.

The Guard's guilt was doing little help in gaining the Emperor's favour. Hunter knew how much he had started to care for you.

"Hunter, you're better than this. Don't let them cloud your vision."
The witch spoke, as sharp as his words were blunt.

"I don't see them practice bard magic, sir..."
The words felt as if they were being pulled out of him, by the ruler of the Isles that stood next to him.

"But, Lord Belos, they're not dangerous. They might not even be the last witch standing."
He shivered again.

"You and I both know that's not true, Hunter. I don't appreciate you lying to me."
The Guard swallowed the knot in his throat before falling silent.

"If they don't join the Emperor's coven. We shall brand them to the bard coven, and send them the train with Raine Whispers. Maybe their limited magic would confine them to the normalcy that every witch on the isles deserves after the Day of Unity passes."
The Emperor sighed.

Hunter felt like a traitor no matter what he did.

A traitor to the Emperor, or a Traitor to you.
He didn't know which one was worse.

Right now, it was the former, considering the presence that stood over him, that he stood in the shadow of, as the sun set over the balcony's edge.

But when he was alone, you were the witch he'd be grieving over.

He was losing sleep, his bags were growing deeper. He didn't know what to do. He only knew loyalty, but now he had two sides to divide it between.

"Yes, Emperor Belos."
He had finally submitted.

The Emperor's stance loosened, and he took the mask off of his face, showing the older soul that rested beneath it.
"I knew I could count on you Hunter. There's a reason you're my Golden Guard. Not just because of the Titan's plans for you, or our matching blood. You have so much value in the coven. Don't let it slip away over something so insignificant."

"I expect to see you at the graduation ceremony, you'll be branding our sole prodigy with the sigil of the Emperor's coven. Follow your standard regimen up until that point. You are no longer needed to train one of the Abomination pair anymore, since there shall be no more formal training. I have assigned you a troop of scouts to track down some more wild witches and harvest their palismen, you shall stick with them until seven days time."

"I will call for you when you are next needed. Goodnight, Hunter."
Belos let out an honest smile, before walking back into the throne room.

The cold of the night shot through the Golden Guard.

He was being sent away, he wasn't going to see you again. At least, until you were graduating. If you were going to make it that far. 

Was this a punishment? Did Belos know? About the hug, about the library, about how fond he'd grown of you.

He stood motionless looking out over the Isles. For a second he could see Bonesborough, for a second he thought of you.

What was he going to do? He couldn't cheer you on because he would be gone.

He had to trust you, he had to trust your magic. 

He knew he could trust you, but deep down something wasn't letting him.
It made him feel like a traitor. 

It made him feel horrible.

He looked down at his staff. The staff you had told him to repair. The staff he actually did repair once your training session was over.

He thought about you again.

How it was the closest thing to love he had ever felt, when he was alone in your arms.

What was he going to do?

Titan, what was he going to do??

He felt himself twitch, a heat rising to his face, the kind you felt right before your emotions poured right out of your eyes.

But not here, he was the Golden Guard, he had a reputation to uphold. 

In his room, not here.
Not in front of the Emperor.

He slowly shuffled his way back to his bed before collapsing into the covers, and throwing off his mask and cloak.

He just had to believe you could do this.
That was all he could do now.

His face was red and puffy, and his eyelids were heavy.

Sleep took him before he could tuck himself in. 

Hopefully, for tonight, he would be far away from here.

Hopefully, he'd dream about that hug.

Then he would feel safe again...