24

Once you'd made it back into the ballroom, you noticed something.

There were eight of you. Eight witches left.

Ten had gone, but you were still standing.
The group felt so small. Like you could know all of them by name now. You didn't because of how separated you were from the others, but it was possible.

One other thing stood out to you. None of them were being collected. The coven heads were stood by the edge of the room. At least, the ones that still had prodigies to teach.

Vitimir, Eberwolf, Scooter Crane, Osran, Mason and Darius.
Darius waved at you when you smiled at him, before he gestured to the small platform in front of you and your fellow prodigies.

A dread slowly sunk in. It wasn't too obvious, but it was enough to unnerve you.

It became more noticeable when Lilith Clawthorne walked onto the stage.
She spoke like she did during the covention, with pride and honour for the Emperor that she served.

"Prodigies. This is your final test. Your last hurdle into joining the Emperor's coven before the Day of Unity, an order directly from Belos himself."
A few of the other pupils around you made light eye contact, before silently turning back to look at the stage.

"You witches and demons will be duelling in a bracket style tournament until only one stands."

"The Emperor is only enrolling one young witch into the coven, pray to titan that it will be yourself."
You felt your stomach drop,

"Terra will continue the festivities from here, I am merely a messenger for Emperor Belos, good luck, witches."
As soon as she had started speaking, she was already gone.

You turned to look at Amity, her face even paler than before.

Forget about her, you had to fight any of the other witches in the room.
The Titan only knew how powerful each one was, you had never seen them fight properly before.

Suddenly, everyone around you raised their stances and took a few paces back, making hasty eye contact with everyone that they could, in an attempt to seem more threatening.

Terra took to the stage and announced the pairs that would be fighting today.
Soon, you were going to know if you were heading home, or one step closer to graduation.

The two witches from construction suddenly froze and turned to look at one another as their names were announced next to one another.

That felt cruel. Monstrously so.

Terra was laughing as she announced it, lacing the room with fear, especially for you and Amity.

Your heart slowed down when you realised that Amity was paired with a girl from the Oracle track.

You were tempted to question why. It didn't make any sense. Maybe the names were random? But that felt even less fair.

There wasn't enough time to think though, as your name was called, pairing you with a demon named Koda...

You knew their face.
The kid from the maze.

You suddenly swallowed as they walked closer.

"Oh, this is going to be fun."
They chuckled, you swallowed air again.

Terra said that the fight would be held in an open air arena, and would be spectated by Vitimir.
The coven head wheezed as he walked towards the two of you.

Amity turned to look at you and wished you luck with her gaze, you obviously reciprocated, before you were sent walking down a new set of corridors. The other side of the castle. You hadn't been this way yet.