20

Today felt important, like there was a new obstacle just away from view.

The breeze was cold and crisp, a draught from the knee was making its way up the isles.

You were stood up today, not sat on a bench, taking in your newfound confidence on the deck as you admired the view for the seventeenth time.

That evening with Hunter filled you with a violent motivation and you showed it through your training.

Even if your parents were seething with rage at your newfound routine at the highest rise of the moon, you didn't care.

You were ready.
You were finally starting to believe in yourself.

"So, Y/N. How have your multi-track lessons been?"
Amity said with a grin.

At first, it came as a shock to her, that you were leaving the abomination track. Your parents took it even worse, but fell silent when you mentioned how much magic you'd be studying.

Once Amity realised that was is what you really wanted, that you were finally feeling happier, she did nothing but vouch for you. 

You felt like you could take on the world together, and you talked about how well things were going.

A peace resonated through the hull, and you smiled.

Steve waved to the two of you as he traversed the ship to talk to a fellow scout at the front of the boat.

Things were finally falling into place.

"Hey, did you hear about anything that would be happening today?" Amity asked.

"No, nothing from Darius or The Golden Guard. But I have a feeling we should expect something today, considering how we always seem to have events this time every week. The dance, the maze, seems like Belos has a schedule." 
You replied,

Amity nodded in agreement.

A creak of wood and the ship made a strong turn.

A... surprisingly strong turn.

Hang on.

"This isn't the way to the castle..."

Your fists clenched.
This was the challenge.

Dammit, you thought it could wait until you were at least inside the Palace. 

The adrenaline started burning into your muscles, but you let it fester.

Amity sat straight with her hands gripping he hem of her skirt, staring out into the brand new landscape.
She was preparing herself too.

You weren't going anywhere unless the ship landed, that's for sure.

But considering the direction you were headed, you weren't going to land for a while.

...

The breeze was cold and crisp, a draught from the knee was making its way up the isles.

Or, more appropriately, you were making your way to the knee.

You felt the boat speed up, almost crash against a loose rib, and land on the cold snow at the peak.

You stepped off into the crushed clouds beneath your feet, cursing yourself for not bringing a coat with you.

"Oh wow, ages since I've been here."
Your comment got a chuckle out of Amity as she walked by your side.

Then you spotted the boats.

Easily half a dozen, one after the other, landing on the snow and leaving precious cargo.
The other prodigies.

They all walked towards you and Amity, making a larger clump of lives that was easier to spot in the snow.

A final ship, clearly the leader of the fleet, by the royal purple paint job and battle scars, landed in front of you.