16

The day after the maze was set to be a lot calmer.

The Emperor was gracious enough to set the trial on a day where you could rest afterwards, since you weren't going back to school for the rest of the week.

You were awake, sat with your back pressed against your bed, looking out the window.

You were too groggy to do anything else.

You had to wake up soon though, since Amity had asked you to go to the book fair with her today.

You doubted Boscha or Skara would want to accompany her, considering their clear preference to sport and social media respectively.

But that wasn't the single reason you were going, you missed Amity. You missed her companionship.

Anyway, you actually had to prepare for it, aside from just think about it.

You had a shower, got dressed, and walked your way downstairs for breakfast.

Your parents looked at you differently today.
"Well done on the maze, dear. But make sure to win next time too."
Was the summary of the entire conversation.

It was the first time you had been complimented by them in a while. It didn't feel genuine.

Your Father was hunched over a newspaper, smoking a cigar in their games room, and your mother wasn't paying attention, half asleep on a separate chaise lounge.

At least Darius cared,

At least Hunter cared too..

You walked out the door, and were picked up by a bubbly girl with green hair.

It was like you had never stopped being friends in the first place, it was wonderful.

You were walking the way to school, like you always did.

The book fair only really happened once a year, so it was quite a lucky shot that you two had made up for it.

It was filled with stalls of books, obviously. But were all on different subject and genres.

"I heard there was a writing competition at the start of the fair. The winner's hosting a book signing event for his new work, Ruler's Reach!"

"Oooh, what's it about?"
You asked,

Amity continued,
"I've heard it's filled with gore and violence! I can't wait to get a signed copy, he's also going to be announcing a sequel soon!"

"But he just wrote the first book? Are you sure he's going to make a new one so quickly?"

"Picky publisher I guess, but the Author is literally called King! How cool is that??"

The two of you were eyeing stalls as you walked past them. Amity was looking for a new issue of The Good witch Azura, but you doubted you would find anything you wanted.

You were only really allowed to read books on advancing magic, or ones that went into depth about the Emperor's coven.

So, unsurprisingly, you stopped finding any joy in reading.
At least you knew lots about magic, right?

The two of you had ended up stood outside the library, looking at the hanging banners that advertised the book signing later that day.

"Wait.. that's the Owl Lady's dog, right?"
You asked,

"That's King??"
Amity cried,

"I had no idea he was so good at writing. Or that he had opposable thumbs that he could type with."