26

The two of you stared at each other. Both surprised and not surprised.

Her green hair caught the light in the right way to glow in your peripheral vision.

You felt faint already, but this was a step closer into the pit of unconsciousness.

You screamed for a second, almost forgetting what building you were in, before your nausea returned to you.

Your knees gave in, and you fell to the floor.

Amity looked to you, flawless in her appearance.

Not a cut, or a bruise, or any sign of damage.

You were going to lose.

You couldn't fight Amity.

Amity...

Your best friend.

Even at the grief you were bawling over, she stood unwavering on the other side of the room.

Her fists clenched, he gaze unbroken. Like she had lost herself.

This time, you were against one another. There was only one spot to compete for. You both knew that you couldn't let your friendship make each other go soft.

Which is why, suddenly, there was nobody there to pick you up then you collapsed onto the floor.

The coven heads quickly left the room as the Emperor summoned them under the call of an emergency.
Leaving Darius to have to walk away, letting the feeling eat at him as your hot tears fell against the mosaic flooring.

Amity wasn't there for you. You were opponents now. She was grieving for herself.

For a second you felt the Golden Guard's presence, before realising how empty the spot next to you really was.

There was no affection, there was no comfort.

Just the cold, hard, tiled floors and the crippling feeling of guilt.

In a final fight for security, you let every wall of yours break down and you screamed for your parents.

The people who brought you here.

The people who raised you.

Your haunting calls for your family, for any form of security left the guards unfazed.
Maybe the occasional one twitched at the pure emotion in your voice, but it wasn't enough to get them to move from their post.

To join this coven you had to make sacrifices.
Now, you were going to have to sacrifice Amity.

You heard a clack of shoes against the ballroom floor, as you watched Amity pass you.
Her pink tights catching in your vision, before disappearing to your left.

She was right.

It was time to get up. It was time to get moving.

You stumbled onto your feet, smearing the brick dust on your cheeks around your face in an attempt to wipe your eyes.

After this, would you have a best friend?

Would your family have a business partner? Was this fight the end of your entire family's income?

The extra weight those thoughts had nearly let everything bubble to the surface again, before you stopped yourself in your tracks and kept moving.

Not here.

Not again.

Not in the Emperor's castle...

——————