Final Presentation

A.N. OK, I tried waiting, but I can't hold this one back. This is my FAVORITE chapter, I love it so much, the WHOLE book came down to THIS moment! OK I HOPE YOU LIKE IT. 

Stepping into the auditorium for what would be the last time, I turned my eyes up towards the dome-like ceiling, willing my heart to settle its nervous hammering.

I stood number eighteenth in the row of submissives as we entered; walking in an orderly fashion down the aisle. The submissives would sit on the left side of the auditorium, while the dominants would sit to the right. We arrived before them, as was appropriate, so our seats had already been taken by the time the handsome senior class of dominants sauntered through the auditorium, creating a stir amongst Freshman submissives.

The final presentations for the senior project would be delivered in front of the whole school.

I recalled sitting in this auditorium near the end of every year as a younger student and watching the seniors stand on the grand stage and deliver presentations that were unique to every dominant and every submissive.

It was nearly impossible to believe that I was now one of those seniors.

From my seat in the front row, I leaned forward to peer around my fellow students in hopes of finding Clark in the several rows of dominants just as they were sitting down.

I spotted Dawson first; his yellow hair impossible to pass over. And directly beside him was Clark. My heart swelled. I couldn't wait to leave the academy and spend the rest of my life with him.

I recognized that I didn't feel for Dawson the way I felt for Clark. I was grateful to him for caring about his friends so much that he was willing to allow us to be together with him. But, I didn't feel my body hum to life every time I looked at him.

But even though I didn't love him as passionately as I loved Clark, there was something. He was my friend. And after everything he had done for me, I needed to ensure he was getting just as much out of this relationship as Clark was.

It would just take some getting used to.

Dawson's eyes found me first. He smiled and I returned the smile with a little wave. Then Clark looked over and his eyes captured mine and I was frozen to him until he gave me permission to look away, which wasn't granted until after he nodded his head at me—a silent reminder to be good—before turning away, freeing my gaze from his.

Blinking as if I was just coming awake after being under Clark's spell, I returned my eyes to the stage, just as Headmaster Warren was stepping forward. Again, my heart swelled.

How did I go from such an ugly future to one so beyond perfect, that I feared I didn't deserve it? Not only did I escape the evil clutches of my father's business partner; I was also going to spend the rest of my life with the boy I loved, who just so happened to be the nephew of the man who might know me better than I knew myself.

"Welcome, students," Headmaster Warren cleared his throat into the microphone before continuing with a warm and welcoming smile. "This year is my eighth as Headmaster, and I have had the incredible honor of watching this years' students grow into incredible people. I am especially proud of this senior class, as my very own nephew sits amongst the students who will be delivering their final project today."

Several students started clapping, murmuring amongst themselves as they wondered who Headmaster Warren's nephew was.

Did nobody truly know?

"I certainly don't wish to brag, but my nephew has graduated at the top of his class, and it brings me immense pleasure to invite him on stage to share a few words with the rest of his senior class."