Prologue

It was that time of the day. The weather was slightly cold and the rain was inconsistent, changing from heavy to lazy droplets, and streets often retain a lot of water in puddles or along drains. A black Cadillac SUV was seen driving along at an average speed, making its way to the inner court of a well-known building in the city. There were four passengers inside aside from the driver. And when the vehicle came to a halt in front of the entrance, the four people alighted; two adults and two children. The gentleman wore a weary expression, with hooded eyes and a balding head. He kept wiping perspiration off of his forehead. The woman was in her mid-thirties, but she appeared younger than her age suggests. Everything about her was an exaggeration of the modern aristocratic fashion, dark eyeliners, red puckered lips, and blushing cheeks. She had a penchant for looking down and raising her brows, endlessly comparing herself to others. The two children were another story. The younger one was around six or seven years of age, with round, inquisitive eyes and a cherub face. Though he bore a similarity to the older boy, there was no doubt that the eldest was more handsome albeit more defiant, all of them clad in the deepest black.

The slightly older boy had a deep scowl on his face, it seems that he was the only one who didn't wish to be in this place. "Why do we have to be here? I don't want to hear what he's going to say!"

"Well, you don't get to choose!" the woman replied, "I also advised that you behave. If you can't say anything nice, then please hold your tongue!"

"I will not go in. You cannot make me!"

"You must," the gentleman replied, "and I implore you, for once, to control your temper, Win. Let me remind you, that you are a son of a gentleman. Let us not have your ill-mannered ways today."

Corwinn Lee looked at the couple with anger in his eyes but was unable to do anything. They were now their appointed guardian and the only relative they have left.

They've just been to a funeral, still grieving the loss of a loved one. It was a little too much to be forcefully driven to this place just to hear what the bloody lawyer would say. Cormick Les (the youngest) was quiet and hid behind Win's back like a frightened kitten. He patted his head comforting him, "It's alright," he said softly. "It shouldn't take long."

Sir Emrys Buell looked at the poor children and sighed. He didn't want to force them here but the lawyer insisted that all of them must attend. "Win" as he was often called, was almost a teenager and smarter than any other child of his age. But Mick was still confused about what was happening.

Taylor Lloyd Owens was a young lawyer in the firm who had many clients in high society. He could say, in his career that was just starting to bloom, that he was among those lucky enough to be employed by a handful of wealthy royal families for minor concerns. However, on this particular occasion, he was distinctly uneasy about receiving this specific family in his office. This explains the sudden jump to his feet when his secretary announced their arrival.

"Sir Emrys—Lady Luisa," he beamed, bowing low before the two adults. Tay looked down at the children following closely behind. Though Win was tall for his age, the facial features and the glint in his eyes still belong to a child. He was also taken aback, by the way, this boy gazed back at him in an accusing way making him feel more guilty.

"Sir Tay," Sir Emrys responded curtly, removing his coat. "Sir, if you don't mind me asking, how long have you been Sir Arthit's lawyer? I asked because I haven't met you before."

"Oh," Tay scratched the back of his neck. "It hasn't been long. The Baron started getting acquainted with the well-known royalties and hired me to take care of some of his...er, finances."

Sir Emrys just nodded his head, "I see..." This shouldn't surprise him anymore. After losing the children's mother, Sir Arthit, the renowned Baron of Montgomery, developed a hobby of taking risks and meeting elitists to upgrade his lifestyle. Neither he nor his wife understood this and as time passed by, they were obliged to accept this behavior until his death and the responsibility of taking care of his children slapped them across the face.