.·:*¨༺ Seven ༻¨*:·.

Win was scarcely aware of their leaving but after they had gone, Lady Luisa sank back on the sofa emitting a cry. He knew he had to attend to his aunt but he just couldn't move, nor could he think or feel to any great degree. Win could only recall the cold, impersonal look in Bright's eyes. As proud as the devil, he thought. But what had prompted him to make such an offer? No doubt, Lady Vanderveer had something to do with it, but the notion that it might look quite charitable was mortifying.

Brigette rushed to her shocked mother, crying, "Mama, what does Lady Vanderveer mean about what she said?"

Lady Luisa put one hand to her head. "What don't you get? If you wanted to debut and be introduced in the court to meet a suitable noble as your mate, we have to accept their condition and not intervene with whatever it is they wanted to do with your cousin here."

Brigette, not completely understanding the situation but quick to give way to her own temper, let out a high-pitch shriek and started stamping her foot. Then, she wheeled around on her cousin, "You sly creature! How can you do this to me?"

"I had no notion of this!" Win protested but his cousin was too far gone in her anger to listen.

Once again, she stamped her foot on the floor. "Stop saying you have no idea! You've been greasing Lady Vanderveer's boots, I've witnessed your ways with my own eyes. I should've seen you for the shady creature, you are! How stupid of me to think you had changed your ways. You are as wicked as we always thought."

"Brigette," Win pleaded. "How can you say that when I am as shocked as you? This is the only second time I've met and seen Lady Vanderveer and never in private. I cannot possibly be greasing her boots, and you know it as well as I do."

"What nonsense! I can see it now. You're trying to seduce Lord Vanderveer, aren't you? As if he would consider someone like you when the most dazzling beauty in the land has not been able to satisfy him."

Win was both shocked and amused by the accusation, he laughed out loud. "Are you trying to prank me? Brigette, have you taken leave of your senses? How can I seduce him when he is already wed?"

At last, Lady Luisa sat up, rallying slightly. "Wed? To whom is he wed and how did you find out?"

"Lady Vanderveer, naturally. Are we all going insane now?"

Lady Luisa laughed in a high-pitched manner which exuded no merriment. "I cannot even begin to imagine what the rumormongers would have to say on that score, especially with regard to little Lady Brielle Lily. But Lady Vanderveer is the Marquis's stepmother. I thought you of all people would know that."

Win's mind reeled with the knowledge that was imparted. His stepmother! The dowager Lady Vanderveer. It was she who had chosen J. Adams Academy, the harridan of his imagination was the delightful Davika Lois Vanderveer.

As Win sank back down on the chair in order to digest the information, Lady Luisa once again let out a little cry and fell back on the cushions. "This has all been too much for me and my poor heart! I'm quite overset."

Brigette cast a venomous look in Win's direction. "Can't you see Mama is distressed? Fetch her medicine now!" When Win made no effort to move, Brigette urged, "Hurry, you lazy creature."

The tone of his cousin's voice snapped Win out of his reverie and he retorted, "Fetch it yourself, Brigette. After what happened, I believe I have some thinking to do and a decision to make."

"The ingratitude," Lady Luisa gasped. "I should've not taken you back to this household if this is how you will treat us! Then again, I shouldn't be surprised for I always suspected it was so. Brigette, get me my phone. I must call Lady Vanderveer to warn her of this treacherous creature. I'm not going to allow a wicked creature such as this to ruin your debut."