.·:*¨༺ Thirteen ༻¨*:·.

As the day of Win's introduction to the court fast approached Lady Vanderveer became even more finicky about supervising the arrangements, and it gives Win some kind of relief knowing that the marchioness would not have much time to even read a book. On one occasion when she was engaged, Win took the opportunity of slipping away from the Vanderveer House on an errand of his own.

Since his arrival at the royal capital and upon learning that Mick was resident in their old house in Lilac Ville, he had been longing to visit him. Win believed he had wasted enough time accompanying the marchioness everywhere and this was a good opportunity for him to visit his younger brother and he did not intend to waste it. Accompanied by one of the guards, he walked a short distance from the Vanderveer House as the day was a fine one and he also did not intend to be absent too long. Win was fortunate in finding Mick at home with a number of his cronies keeping him company.

As he stepped inside a once familiar hall a host of memories assailed him. Recollection of their parents, their late dog, and even when they were clad in velvet and silks on their way to visit a theater or a masquerade ball, even the memory of their father, Sir Arthit arriving home roaring drunk after a night with his cronies.

"Win, what do you think of the old place?" Mick asked him casually as he came down the stairs towards him, looking very much like the master of the house, something which brought a lump in his throat.

It was evident that the marquis had kept the house in excellent condition, far better, in fact, than when he and his family had lived there. "It looks wonderful," Win answered truthfully. "And it warms my heart to see you here."

A number of Mick's friends followed him down the stairs, proclaiming their delight and good fortune in being there while he called in. They were all eager to meet the heir of the title "Baron of Montgomery" especially when they heard of his connection to the benevolent Lady Vanderveer and their hero Lord Vanderveer.

"Sir Win," Sir Luke cried. "What a most welcome surprise."

Sir Mick grinned, "Luke will be crying roast meat all day. Come along, Win, let me show you around."

They wandered from room to room, followed by a noisy group of gentlemen. "It is so good to see everything that I thought was lost to us."

"Or what you believed have been lost to us," Mick supplied and Win sighed as he ran his hand lovingly along their mother's spinet, recalling the hours he spent himself mastering some expertise in the instrument but he wasn't as skillful as the late Lady Montgomery.

"He has disposed of nothing," Win noted.

"Why not play for us?" one of the gentlemen invited.

Win only smiled. "No indeed, Captain Sims, not on this occasion. I must also leave here soon. There is no chaperone and I'm persuaded Lady Vanderveer was already looking for me."

As they walked back down the stairs Sir Mick said in a low voice to his older brother, "You must own now, Win, that Bright is a good sort of fellow after all."

Win sighed once more. "Mick, I confess I no longer know what to think about the man. He may be a villain or an angel, who knows? Time alone will tell the truth of the matter. Oh, Mick, that is Mama's portrait."

The brother paused by the stairs to admire the portrait of the late Lady Mary Montgomery, resplendent in a feathered hat and silk gown. Win hadn't set his eyes on it for more than ten years and had never realized how beautiful their mother had been in her youth. If Mick resembled their late father so much, Win resembled their mother down from the fair snowy skin to the sharp jaw and chiseled features.

"It is splendid, is it not?" Sir Luke also stopped to admire. "Lady Montgomery bestowed her beauty upon you, Sir Win. There can be no doubt about that."