.·:*¨༺ Seventeen ༻¨*:·.

Win gasped upon knowing that the man brought by Lady Vanderveer was the well-known poet. "Lord Bagley, this is indeed the greatest pleasure for me."

The poet nodded curtly in acknowledgment of the introduction and Lady Vanderveer said, "I shall leave you to have your private conversation."

As she moved away, Win was intrigued by the poet's appearance. Initially, he had thought him to be a little like the marquis, but whereas Lord Vanderveer was always immaculately dressed, Lord Bagley was deliberately unkempt.

"No doubt I shall not be unique in expressing my admiration of your work," Win ventured and he scowled around the room.

"It is always gratifying for an artist to be appreciated, Sir Montgomery, but I often wonder if I am admired because I am talented, or because I have become the talk of the beau monde."

Win looked shocked. "Oh, I am persuaded your genius is the reason for your fame. For myself, I can only say I read, no devour, everything you publish."

Out of the corner of his eyes, he spied Lord Vanderveer, having returned to the ballroom. Recalling what Bright had earlier said about Lord Bagley, he considered it would be the greatest retaliation if he could prove him wrong.

"I heard the Duke of Salisbury enjoy a run around the park every morning since being a member of the militia. I heard you have the same hobby?"

The poet was silent for a few moments before replying. "I used to have the same hobby, yes."

"Oh? I often run around the park myself when I find the time," Win confided. "Tell me, my lord, would you like to join me sometime?"

The icy look he gave him would have done justice to the marquis. It was in itself a set down. "No, Sir Montgomery, I do not run," he said to Win's dismay and then he walked away.

As he did so one hand flew away to Win's lips, for it was immediately apparent that the poet had a lame foot. He limped quite considerably and could not possibly run or even dance with any grace whatsoever.

"Sir Montgomery?"

He tore his horrified gaze away from the poet to the Duke of Vanderveer who was standing behind him enjoying his wine without his spouse by his side. Off was looking at him curiously and involuntarily, Win's eyes were filled with apprehension and embarrassment. "Your Grace, I just have committed the most dreadful blunder."

"You, our new baron? I cannot conceive how that might be." When he explained the duke merely laughed. "That man is so full of pain, I doubt what you said caused him a little more," Off answered as he led him to the table with freshly cooked seafood and handed him a glass of wine. "Nevertheless, the announcement on the court and this celebration ball appear to be a resounding success."

Win's cheeks remained flushed. "Lady Vanderveer has an amazing knack for being successful at everything she does."

"You must not discredit yourself because you did your part quite well and everyone considers you as a great addition to the seat of the House of Lords."

"You are very kind to say so, Your Grace, but I owe a good deal to his ladyship and his lordship."

Off looked surprised to hear Win finally acknowledging Bright's contribution and could not help but smile. "As one who is exceedingly fond of my younger cousin, it pleases me to see your gratitude towards him."

"It is evident you are fond of him, Your Grace, and Gun—I mean..."

"Come now, let us not dwell too much about it, and let us drop the title during private chatter, shall we?"