.·:*¨༺ Twenty-Two ༻¨*:·.

Win has lost count of the time that he remains in the supper room, smiling absently whenever someone greeted him, but when he saw the marquis enter the room and begin to look around, he immediately slipped out of the nearby door. In the lobby he sank back against a marble pillar, relishing the feel of its coolness through his coat. Music filtered out of the ballroom and he was vaguely aware that Gulf was trying to engage him a chatter earlier since all he could think about was his own misery and to wonder if Sir Luke had located his aunt and uncle yet.

A heavy footstep nearby made him stand straight and catch his breath which had been somewhat uneven. His heart began to flutter unevenly when he saw Bright coming towards him, but flight was impossible now, there was nowhere to go save the ballroom, and to do so would have involved passing him.

"Sir Luke Harley has just informed me that he asked your hand in marriage," Bright's manner was totally inscrutable.

Win adjusted his coat and answered in a less than steady voice, "That is so."

"Am I to understand that it is with your knowledge and consent that he does this?"

"Indeed, it is. Sir Luke Harley was most punctilious in ascertaining my feelings in the matter. I would have expected no less from him."

There was a pause as Bright searched his gaze. "Win..." his voice was low and urgent and Win stared at the use of his name. "You cannot think to marry Sir Luke Harley."

He looked at him at last, Win's hazel orbs blazing into Bright's dark ones. "Why not? He is most affable and devoted to me."

"I do not doubt that for one moment but he is certainly not worthy of you."

Win drew himself up proudly. "Who are you to say who is worthy, my lord?"

"Allow me greater knowledge than you," Bright replied, "And I am persuaded such a match will not do."

"If I wish to jump over the ledge, I will not seek leave from you first, I assure you. I do not tell you to disassociate yourself from Miss Violet Shaye because she is a chuckle-head. No, my lord, you will not dictate to me whom I shall accept or not. In any event, you are far too late."

Win would have brushed past him then only that Bright caught him by the wrist and drew him back towards him. His inscrutability was no more and the fury was plain to see.

"If you insist to ally yourself with that fool, you will have one memory to keep by you in the future."

Win was suddenly afraid and demanded, "Unhand me," but Bright only pulled him ever closer towards him, but then, when Bright's lips claimed his, Win could no longer utter any sound nor did he want to. After the initial protest, he did not even struggle. When Bright relinquished his grip on his wrist, the same arm encircled Win's waist holding him prisoner to his passion. Win had no notion how long they stood clasped in each other's arms for it was no longer a matter of the marquis forcing him into submission. Win gladly melted into Bright's embrace, marveling at the emotion liberated in his by so bruising a kiss.

─┉┈◈◉◈┈┉─

Even when someone approached the marquis did not relinquish his hold upon him, only when an angry voice demanded. "Gad sir, what is the meaning of this outrage?" -did Win stepped back and was freed from him at last.

Hurrying towards them was Sir Emrys and Sir Luke and they were both red-faced with anger.

"You will meet me over this," Sir Luke vowed and Win cried, "Please, do not be so foolish."

"The baron is wise," the marquis said in a warning tone. "Such action may well cost you your life, sir, and to what avail when Sir Win has declared his intention of becoming leg-shackled to you? Be assured that the baron was a most unwilling partner and I admit to being brutish with him."