.·:*¨༺ Six ༻¨*:·.

Brigette Rose peered out of the window of the first-floor drawing room of their mansion one fine morning and spotted a shining, black Rolls-Royce Phantom limousine entering the courtyard. Her eyes widened as she recognized the emblem imprinted on the small flag on the hood of the said vehicle.

"Mama!" she cried. "She's back, and I think she isn't alone."

"What do you mean?" Lady Luisa, who had but little patience for her own daughter's ramblings didn't even bother to look. Instead, she turned her gaze on Win. "Win, can you finish this sewing for me? I have asked my maidservants to finish this but either she is too slow or her education is not enough to understand."

Win couldn't help but frown upon hearing this. "Sewing is not one of my forte," and not something that a gentleman usually does—Win wanted to add.

"What are you saying? I saw you the other day knitting in your room. Don't lie to me."

With a sigh, he took the needle and the materials from her hand. This woman...he thought. If she wasn't always available to finish her own activity, she'd be passing it on to her servants, most specifically to him, whom she considers as her "relative" —a kinder term given to him for being her nephew yet the treatment was all the same.

As Lady Luisa rose to her feet to finally pay her daughter the attention she needed, the change in her expression was instantaneous and Win was intrigued, sitting by the corner of the drawing room trying his best to sew. "It's not Lady Bradwell's vehicle!"

"No, Mama. This one is far more elegant and see the symbol? It's Lady Vanderveer! Look, she alighted from the vehicle and she is coming here. Oh my god, Lord Vanderveer is with her too!"

The needle jabbed into Win's finger and a look of horror crossed his face. However, he sucked it all in but his heart raced for no good reason. Lady Luisa began to straighten her dress and look around the room in some agitation. She wouldn't have the marchioness seeing her in an unwelcoming appearance, or so she thought because, in this household, Win always sees them being impeccably dressed every day it was beginning to look comical.

"There! Did I not tell you her ladyship was taken with you, Brigette? Let me look at you."

The girl twirled around holding out her knee-length yellow skirt. "Last time I spoke with Lord Vanderveer, he said I was the most vacuous young lady he had ever encountered," she giggled. "He said I could perfect it as an art."

Win wanted to laugh but composed himself. Well, the Marquis wasn't wrong on that score because he doubted his cousin even know what "vacuous" means. "Did that please you, Brigette?" He tried to ask.

All at once, his cousin looked haughty. "Of course, it did. Praise from the Marquis of Vanderveer is not easily won."

"Praise, huh," Win murmured in bewilderment at her idiocy, although a quick flare of anger rose inside him at the marquis's arrogance.

"Oh yes, you look quite fetching," her mother decided. "While Lady Vanderveer is here, you must play and sing a song to her. Your voice is delightful and everyone agreed on that score."

"Mama, I think there'll be here in a minute. I can hear the house steward welcoming them."

Immediately, Win jumped to his feet, his mouth dry, his heart pounding even harder now. "Aunt Luisa, may I be excused? I've been meaning to call my best friend, Gulf, I believe I can be spared while you receive your visitors."

Lady Luisa sincerely glanced at her nephew. "Yes, Win. That would be for the best. It would not do if Lord Vanderveer claps eyes upon you. It wouldn't do your cousin's aspirations any good at all if he was to be reminded of what you did and that you are her relative. You have to understand, a man such as he is will not easily forget your abominable behavior."