.·:*¨༺ Twenty-Five ༻¨*:·.

The Vermillion Empire prided itself on being one of the richest islands in the European Peninsula. However, just like their neighboring countries, elites of the beau monde were highly concerned about their status and could not be seen to be involved with lower-class people. Therefore, the answer to this problem came in the form of courtesans or high-class Cyprians.

Courtesans were well-dressed, intelligent, skilled in music, and oftentimes even writing. Aside from this, they also provided company as well as sexual gratification. It has been told that they provided the means for aristocrats to experience sex without dishonoring their noble partner or being involved with anyone belonging to the lower class. Hence, courtesans were, in a way, a class of their own, although never accepted as part of the aristocracy. However, there were instances, mostly to Cyprians, that a noble would express interest to wed them. And since they could charge high prices, many courtesans could afford to live in great splendor, often owning or renting a large palazzo where they could entertain their clients.

Win had never visited places that featured male and female courtesans in one place, and he was not embarrassed to divulge this knowledge. He has never been interested in such activities and was more focused on getting the life his father had lost through gambling. So when the Duke Consort brought them to Casa de Mercedes, a known private villa on the outskirts of town, he could not contain his outrage in learning that such a place exist and could only imagine Bright and his cohorts-that including his brother-who had possibly visited this place several times.

"Gun, what are we doing here?" He demanded an answer to his companion, even Gulf was too astounded to react. "Your husband will not approve of this!"

"Tush, he visited this place before he decided to pay court and marry me," Gun told him nonchalantly but hurriedly explained, "We are not here to hire any of these top-ranking courtesans, we are only here for that."

Win and even Gulf followed the direction to where Gun pointed his folding fan and saw a small corner of the room set for those nobles who enjoyed playing cards.

"Gaming?" Win was now on the verge of having a meltdown. "You do understand that I detest such foolish activities?"

"May I remind you that the only reason Sir Luke has withdrawn the challenge of a duel against Lord Vanderveer was that Lady Vanderveer told him that you have a compulsion to gaming?"

"That has been proven fallacious ever since Lord and Lady Vanderveer announced the engagement," Gulf said.

"To some, but Win's aunt seemed to have a great deal to say about it. Never mind them, let us have our fun. This is also the best place to meet other nobles and aristocrats with rare caliber."

Win's eyes widened. "You are not suggesting Gulf shall find a partner in this place?"

"Goodness, Win, what are you on about? Just because a noble frequents such places does not mean they are reckless like your father, pardon the comparison."

"I am not offended."

"Lord Vanderveer frequents this place too. This is just one of the many pleasurable activities that the beau monde has to offer and visiting one or two of these places should not be a basis to judge their character."

Thinking about this, Win was slightly ashamed of his bigotry, but upon knowing that Bright has frequented this place, a sudden surge of aggravation arouse deep inside of him. Nevertheless, not wanting to dishearten Gun and his efforts to show them this side of the beau monde, he did his best to lighten the sour mood a little but he really could not be bothered to engage in gaming. First of all, he was not good with card games and could not conceive why the nobles would waste their spare coins waging rather than used them to help the poor people.