.·:*¨༺ Twelve ༻¨*:·.

As much as the company of Mrs. Rowley was tempting and the people, she was with were entertaining, she had never successfully recruited the Marquis of Vanderveer and she was beginning to suspect the real reason behind his invitation. Bright watched from afar as his Rolls-Royce Phantom limousine took his stepmother and Win home after the play. He was barely aware that his cousin Off was standing behind him since he was staring too much and could only sigh when it sped off and disappeared from his sight.

"Was it a success?" The succinct voice of the duke matched the present impishness that did nothing to appease the mood of the other.

"I could hardly tell," the marquis responded with an uncommon weariness, as he walked towards the Cyprian, kissed her hand, and bid her adieu.

"You are an idiot, cousin," Duke Off retorted as they were left alone to walk into the parking space. "I never thought you would bring that Cyprian into the show."

"Why ever not? If I would like to get a reaction, should I not bring one of the most-sought beauty in the ton?"

Off, for once, found this difficult to contradict. "And did you get the reaction you are expecting?"

"As I said, I could hardly tell."

"Since we are on this subject, I could not help but notice how much Sir Luke pays attention to Sir Montgomery's presence."

"So, it seems..."

The duke studied the countenance of the marquis but Bright, among his other relatives, was too hard to comprehend and he recalled giving up after several attempts of trying to decipher a puzzle. "Should you be paying attention to the people surrounding him rather than getting a reaction?"

Bright raised his head and their eyes met. "This is madness."

"Oh, you think so?"

"He hates me."

"And he will continue to hate you if you do not get off your high horse."

"I have a reputation to maintain."

"And no one would dare gainsay or take that reputation away from you," said the duke waving his hand to his spouse who seemed to be searching for his whereabouts. "Do you not find it prudent to set aside your pride for once so he can like you a little?"

"That was easier said than done. You should hear his mouth fire those words like a shotgun blast. It angers me."

Off chuckled under his breath. "If I did not know any better, I would say that he affected you more than you affected him. Too bad that he does not see it that way."

─┉┈◈◉◈┈┉─

During his free time and if ever he could find a way to get out of the Vandeveer House and Lady Lily's prying, Win would often visit a library and read to his heart's content. It was a more than welcoming activity considering how suffocating his world had gotten despite what the future held. Win was forever grateful for Lady Vanderveer and her kindness as well as patience in ensuring that he was introduced to each and every significant member of the beau monde.

He was perusing the mystery section when his phone vibrated and he was obliged to answer this. In spite of the modern era, Win still finds gadgets troublesome and would often leave his phone somewhere so as not to be bothered. However, he has reason to bring it with him, fearing that Gulf might contact him regarding the inevitable publication of the novel he created borne out of his anger for the marquis.

"Hello?"

"Are you alone?"

It was Gulf. This was to be expected since he rarely received calls from others and only a few has a hold of his number. "I am in a library."