Chapter 4: The Hearing

Selena sat in isolation in the crystal catacombs underneath the Fire Temple for several days since her arrest, yet all she could think about was Thor's horrible torment. The alluring mineral pools lost their luster as she crouched beside a stream of trickling water and cocooned herself within her embrace.

Although her efforts were futile in trying to speak with Thor, she feared he wore the Silent Vow, Ashur Bel's treacherous invention: an enchanted necklace severing all telepathic communication between a dragon and their rider. The former captain had used this once when the pair started basic, separating them until training was nearly over. It took weeks for Silver to convince the Council to remove it finally.

I'm so sorry, my dear.

She held her trembling head. It all seemed like a dream or that maybe someone was playing a cruel trick on her. She was tired, too tired, but she didn't dare sleep. How could a reasonable person sleep while their companion was in chains? If Thor were dead, Selena would join him.

She pushed the thought away as she stood up and paced. How could the Council have found out about us? Selena immediately thought of Azrael, her rival and bunker buddy, and cursed his name. That treacherous bastard, how could he—?

No, it couldn't have been him; Azrael knew better. After their skirmish months ago, he and his dragon, a Sunbeam Shieldtail named Doragon, had both declared a silent truce. Though Azrael didn't quite warm up to her, he had at least begun showing respect. If he did report me to the Council, Silver and the others would have addressed this issue by now.

She then clenched her teeth when suspecting former Captain Ashur Bel's involvement. However, she wasn't sure how that would be possible, as he hadn't been seen since his suspension; even Jade took a leave of absence, possibly to join his handler. Yet, Selena couldn't understand how Ashur found out about her ruse. Clearing her mind, she prayed in silence to the Divines for a way out or to save Thor.

She paused when the wall before her rumbled and swung open like a massive door. Selena scowled and cringed upon seeing Azrael strutting calmly inside, with fists jammed into his pockets; behind him followed Admiral Silver Altessa, frantically spewing nonsense about the Council's atrocities.

Save for Rahim's birthday party, it had been weeks since Selena last saw Silver; her eyes darted to his new badge pinned to his jacket, declaring his high rank. Silver towered above her and Azrael—only the Shadow Emperor's height outmatched his. Yet, he was the same. A pair of rounded spectacles perched on the bridge of his nose, like glass cases protecting his ice-blue eyes. His waist-length silver hair matched his regal white jacket and waistcoat, fastened by an azure chain with teal-tipped feathers, accentuated with gold and blue trimmings and white breeches. Even his hessian boots completed his ensemble, though they were uncommon to be any color other than black.

Contrarily, Azrael looked depressing through his messy jet-black hair and deep blue eyes. His crescent-shaped scar through his right eye appeared darker than usual. Yet, he scowled at the rampaging Silver and turned away to avoid Selena's heated gaze; she couldn't understand why he would be willing to join Silver to see her in the dungeons. She dug her nails into her palm to see Azrael again. Lately, he had been doing his best to avoid her company, not being in their shared bunker whenever she was around, and Selena took it offensively.

Silver ignored their hostile exchange. "I'm sorry I'm late. I came as soon as I was able, but General Araneus won't tell me a bloody thing."

"As his orders came directly from Vidar, I doubt Araneus would." Selena sighed and snarled. "Do either of you know what they're doing with Thor?"

Azrael answered in Silver's place. "From what we know, he's fine for now—Doragon last saw him detained at Dragonspire."

"Very good." She bit her inner cheek until she tasted blood and scowled. "Why did you come here? Silver, I'd expect, but you—"