Chapter 13: The King of Rhumbek

Selena's group had been traveling all evening until the grey clouds drifted close to the ground as the sun rose, bringing life to the new day. Yet, Thor and Doragon groaned when Azrael mumbled and swore every time he looked at the map, continuously pushing them to keep moving. Eventually, Doragon had enough, and when Azrael least expected it, he made a whole aerial spin. Azrael wasn't buckled, but Doragon was fast enough to resume position without losing his rider, and Azrael floated freely for a few seconds before thumping back into the saddle.

The only one who wasn't amused was Selena. She leaned against the Mythic Flight egg crate, and Thor bombarded her with more questions about what had happened in the Hinterlands. When Selena gave him the same answers as before, Thor grunted, and smoke wafted from his nostrils. Are you sure of what you saw? All of this is because of a child you claimed to have seen.

Selena tightened her grip around the trunk's handles and fingered the wood finish. You know I wouldn't lie about this.

Thor didn't answer at first, and Selena felt uneasy by his silence. I don't know what to say, he finally said, I don't think you're lying, but I was frightened. You understand how dangerous it is to wander the Hinterlands.

I was afraid I'd lost you and the others forever. Do you forgive me?

Of course, I forgive you.

I thought you said before that dragons don't have fear.

Thor grumbled and swiveled his head away in shame. I misspoke, he said after a long while, I was afraid when you first encountered the Order and when the Marcupo and the Lich almost killed you; I don't want to lose you.

My dear one, you won't lose me.

Something always happens whenever we're separated. Imagine if Silver were here—we would never hear the end of it.

Selena sighed, for she knew Thor was right. Though Silver believed in her abilities, he would have reacted similarly, if not worse. Perhaps it's a good thing he didn't join us on this assignment.

She brought her bag close, pulled out a few books Apollo had gifted her before their departure, and offered to read to Thor as they resumed course; Thor heartily accepted. She shared with him the tale of Epoch: the first known Divinity Dragon Silver had the pleasure of meeting.

Epoch existed over twelve thousand years ago and was a Regal Flamescale blessed by the Divines to commune and coexist with mortals. Not realizing he was granted god-like power, Epoch wanted the ability to save the dragons from extinction as the war between them and mortals took a drastic turn. He spent hundreds of years seeking out the original guardians—the ancestors from the Mythic Flight—and asked for the magic to help him save his race.

Though no dragon had ever possessed two elements before, Epoch insisted he could learn to do so. Each of the guardians agreed but held on to their magic until Epoch could master the energies. Once he trained, eventually, the masters passed on their secrets and knowledge; within a year, Epoch became the first dragon to master all magic. Working with Xyaxon, he learned how to use Aether, thus allowing him to save the dragons from utter annihilation.

Yet, wielding all this power put him in mortal danger, and Epoch lost his life protecting the dragons. However, before dying, Epoch apologized for not ending the conflict, but Xyaxon promised that his quest would continue through the next Divinity Dragon, beginning the Divine cycle through Epoch's prayer.

When Selena continued through the stories, she and Thor learned there were six other Divinity Dragons before them. Their dragon mother, Yggdrasil, a Crimson Deathwing able to wield earth and fire, finished Epoch's quest by finally ending the war between mortals and dragons almost sixteen hundred years ago. The Empire used 'Enno etem Drvanis' or 'Year of the Dragon' to mark the new age since Yggdrasil peacefully resolved the conflict.