Chapter 17: Artio's Blessing

Though Ulrich had finished his rampage over Rhumbek, Thor and Doragon maintained a quick but steady pace, flying nonstop for the following few days. As they could choose to go for long periods without food, they were still satiated from their last hunts. However, when the two dragons expressed their extreme thirst, Azrael began instructing Selena how to manipulate water, but, much to his surprise, she had already started her elemental summons. They used magic to quench their dry throats by drawing water from the air and clouds, holding giant orbs that Thor and Doragon swallowed in one gulp.

Azrael mumbled, but he smirked. "I forget I'm teaching a Divinity Dragon."

Selena offered Thor and Doragon more of Silver's stamina elixir, but they declined. Thank you, but save the rest in case we need it in the future; we are doing well for now.

Kiba's apprehension slowly eased as time wore on, but she still clutched to Thor's harness handles, not trusting the buckles and carabiners to keep her safe. When Selena asked her about it, Kiba muttered her preferences for solid ground and "I don't understand how you fly all the time."

Rahim had been pale and quiet since they fled Rhumbek, and Selena assumed he was still bothered by his near-death experience. Though Azrael had assured him he was in no imminent danger, Rahim remained agitated and anxious throughout their trip, and Selena grew concerned with his mental health.

The group may have already put a great distance between them and Rhumbek, but they could still see the emerald spires leftover from Ulrich's curse, lancing through the city of stone and copper; Selena wondered how they could still remember, including Kiba. When she asked Azrael about it, he didn't have an answer. "Perhaps we frightened Ulrich because he wasn't expecting us to be there, but I dunno. If you happen to see him again, you should ask."

Rahim shuddered. "Oh buggery, I pray we won't have to see that mad god again."

"Fate is a fickle friend," Azrael said, "and Ulrich isn't all bad when he's sane." He peered over his shoulder and nodded towards the Aurora Peaks. "He lives in Heaven's Tear in seclusion if you ever wish to pay him a visit."

Rahim groaned and leaned against the saddle with his hands propped on his head. "To Oblivion with that," and Kiba growled in agreement.

Selena held her chin; her eyes fixed on the mountain peak. "That doesn't explain his reaction when I bowed in respect."

She looked to Azrael, whose expression turned blank upon thinking of the anomaly, but he said, "As Divinity Dragons, you and Thor are gods among mortals. I think Ulrich realized who you were, even in his madness." Though Selena would rather not compare herself to the Divines, Thor was pleased with Azrael's recognition.

Kiba dismissed their notions about the Divines and scowled at Ulrich, vowing, "I will come back and bring him down for what he's done to our forest."

Selena warned: "Regardless of your beliefs, I ought to remind you of Ulrich's might and power—you'll get yourself killed."

Kiba snorted. "I'll join the great hunt with Artio when my time comes."

As they flew closer to the pass, Kiba went to great lengths to describe their home and how it rivaled cities like Alfheim and Rhumbek. "We made our dwelling in the rock behind the water—wait until you see it."

As the third evening settled upon them, Selena searched through her pack and pulled out a blanket, offering it to Kiba. "You must be freezing; I don't understand how you can't be when you're not wearing anything."

"I have my fur." Kiba changed into her magnificent white wolf form and curled in a ball, falling into sleep's deep torpor. Selena still draped the blanket over her despite her objections, and Kiba snuggled underneath the wool. Satisfied, Selena moved over and leaned against Thor's neck; though Armageddon's arctic winds were nearly unforgiving, she was wholly warm because of her dragonscale dress.