Chapter 21: Tiamat

General Araneus paced about his office before Admiral Silver Altessa, looking out his window with hands clasped behind his back. "I will say, the new captain is excelling thanks to you, Admiral. Captain Allendreth and Venerius are performing admirably, and we'll assign their recruits to their dragons within a month. You are well on becoming a seasoned admiral yourself."

"Sir, you're too kind," Silver smiled, "Of course, I only want to see the success of the riders and what's best for the Empire."

"Yes, of course. How is your Aether line project coming along?"

Silver paused for a moment and nodded to the general's office window. "I'm afraid it had its setbacks, sir."

"What do you mean by that?"

Silver raised his left hand and moved his pinkie finger. "It was fun re-growing this. Harnessing this power for transportation isn't as easy as it seems." Though he could use portals for shorter crossings, Silver could never replicate that for traveling far distances, such as from Alfheim to Snowhaven—doing so required a tremendous amount of magic. Silver figured he could harness Aether through many conductor elements; he found that great power lines crisscrossed Armageddon—like blood vessels of spirit energy coursing through the earth—and could use them to create portals. However, it grew challenging for him to control the flow, and his latest experiment was a disaster. Silver would be walking around with missing limbs if it weren't for him being a shapeshifter.

"That's why I put my best minds to work. However, there is something I need to talk to you about in private. Please, close the door and take a seat." General Araneus sat behind his mahogany desk while Silver bowed and did as he asked. "Now then, the first matter is regarding Liongod and Thor. I recently received word of their travels, and they should be on their way to Nuvak as we speak. They're making excellent time, and I reckon they should return to Alfheim by the end of Stardusk—I've already approved her time off."

Silver's heart raced, but he remained calm and collected before the general. "Sir, of course."

"Very good. I'm sure that you of all people would appreciate it."

Silver was afraid to offer more to the conversation. "I'm sorry?"

"I'm well aware of the relationship. Need I say more?"

Silver swallowed hard; General Araneus knew of their engagement. "Sir, I don't understand how you could accept it if it's against the law."

"It is if I say it is. Right now, I think that this matter stays between us. As far as I'm concerned, this conversation never happened." The general winked, and Silver let out a sigh of relief. "There is, however, an urgent matter that we need to address. I will warn you: it is disturbing." General Araneus opened his desk drawer and pulled out a large book listing all the transactions that the Council had approved over the last year. "My order to you is that whatever is discussed within my office stays in my office. Do I make myself clear, Admiral?"

"Absolutely, sir."

"Very good. Now, I want you to look over these dated documents from within the last six months and tell me if you see anything unusual."

Slightly confused by the general's request, Silver agreed and grabbed the book. Silver's eyes widened after shuffling through the pages when he realized what Araneus meant and said, "Vidar told us that Justiciar Holland had approved a hefty sum of one million for the Mythic Flight eggs."

"Yes."

Silver looked through the book again. "I don't see anything about this exchange, but these numbers don't add up. That means—"