Chapter 26: Red Rain

Black clouds hovered and swirled above the glass towers of Rune Citadel, lightning bolting through the darkness. The wind screamed, and the torrential rain grew merciless over the grim, ivory city of Alfheim as Vidar and the rest of his Council associates stormed through the castle. Heavily armed with swords, firearms, and magic, they blasted their way through the massive double doors with fire.

A crackling fire warming the room for the cold, stormy night welcomed the Council's revolution, the light flickering against the large banners hanging from the vaulted ceiling. Yet, the imperial diamond throne donned in extravagant furs remained empty, and Vidar scowled in disgust.

"Find the Empress," he ordered, "I want her dead or alive. Our coup happens now." His Council colleagues nodded and broke off into two groups to search for the missing Empress, their footsteps echoing throughout the keep. Vidar looked up at the banners and snapped his fingers, immediately setting them ablaze.

Meanwhile, hiding in the august bed-chamber, the Empress—in her white wolf form—and Loki looked out their tall window as a pile of furniture barricaded the locked doors. Their ears caught the sound of footsteps and the smashing of glass and stone.

Her Imperial Majesty, however, remained calm amidst the Council's long-anticipated rebellion; General Araneus brought the fraudulent matters to her attention weeks ago regarding the Mythic Flight clutch exchange. She, Vulduin, and Silver had planned to extract Selena and her allies before they reached Snowhaven and completed their compromised mission, but the Council acted sooner than they had expected.

As the Council pounded on the bedroom doors, the Empress said to Loki, Thank you for coming to warn me. Now, I have one last order for you.

"What is that, my Lady?" Loki asked, flinching when the sounds grew suddenly louder with the roaring thunder.

After we jump out the window, we must leave Alfheim immediately. You need to find the Oracles and Neith and get yourselves to Nuvak. I'll hide elsewhere.

"What about you, Your Imperial Majesty?"

Don't worry about me, for Silver is waiting with an airship that will ferry me to safety. He has a zeppelin ready for you and the others near Moonridge. Flee to Nuvak and stay with Chaliss—that is an order. She pawed at the window, and the glass creaked open; she and Loki winced when they heard voices echoing beyond the barricade, followed by a command from Vidar to break in.

Loki whimpered and circled underneath the cushioned window seat, his orange fur bristling. "Please hurry, Your Majesty."

The Empress closed her eyes and concentrated. She didn't have time to act. As the Council blasted through her barrier, her eyes shot open, and the world froze around her. Knowing her spell wouldn't last long, she and Loki made haste and jumped out the window. Although her magic neither froze them nor anyone within their proximity, their movements slowed drastically. Her Imperial Majesty's spell wore off when their paws touched the ground, and the two ran away, disappearing down the shadowed streets.

The Council associates blasted their way through the furniture pile but were disappointed to find that the room was empty. Vidar parted through with his sword ready in one hand and a ball of fire in the other; his eyes darted to the open window, and he swore.

"Sir, shall we give pursuit?" one of his men asked.

Vidar growled and desisted. "We don't have time. The Dark Master has already given us the order to let his troops into the city when they arrive. Today, Alfheim will fall."

His second associate spoke up: "But sir, there are innocents within the city."

Vidar's lip twitched. "If we do nothing, there will be rebellion. It was just as my grandson once said: the Force will eventually rise against the Council." He peered over his shoulder and scowled. "Listen for the bells."